Directory sort

Discussion in 'Software' started by Padooka, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Padooka

Padooka Private E-2

Hi:
    I am running WinME with 512 meg ram, 45gig harddrive on a Gateway 933.
    When I click START, RUN, BROWSE, and the window comes up for my choice to be made, the directory is in no sequence whatsoever. It makes no difference what directory I browse to. This is normally no problem as most of my directories are relatively small. The question is, How do I get these directories back in normal sequence. This problem has been around for a while and using GOBACK will not help.
    Thanks for your help.

jim g

2. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

after clicking browse and the box comes up look at the last icona in the toolbar. If you click that it will give a menu of various ways to view that box. Mine is on list and most of it is alphabetical accept for a couple of items that are just files. Check out the various buttons on the menu to see if that will be more to your liking.

3. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

icona= icon

4. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I don't know about ME, but every other file manager I've used works this way...

Once you get into the "Details" view, what happens when you click on the "Name" column header? Does it re-sort into alpabetical order?

I'm just wondering if for some reason, your file list is displaying in some other order -- like "modified" order. The logic to the listing shown wouldn't be apparent until you flip into the "Details" view as mal1930 suggested.

And some don't know that clicking on a column header in the "Details" view will force a sort on that column. Clicking a second time on the same header will force a sort in the other direction, eg., Z-A instead of A-Z. Sorting by date (last to first) can be very useful when you're looking for a file you recently created or modified. The file floats to the top of the pile and is easily found in a large folder.

Does ME remember the sort order last used in the File Manager?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds