PC monitoring

Discussion in 'Software' started by PrivatePile, Mar 9, 2015.

1. PrivatePile

PrivatePile Private E-2

So I setup a media PC to hold all my movies, music, Photos etc. It's a standalone tower, no monitor keyboard or mouse, just use rdp/teamviewer to access it. I recently had a hard drive fail, and I didn't know it until I couldn't access it. Does anyone know of any or setup PC monitoring software that could email alerts when something isn't healthy? I saw cs fire monitor on here and tried it but I can't seem to get the mail to work. I tried using gmail SMTP, but it just fails, I'm assuming cause of the SSL requirement. Anyone do anything similar to what I'm trying to accomplish?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Along similar lines you could use Speedfan to monitor temps and Drive SMART status and email you, basically once downloaded set your events from Reading menu > Events and choose the events (kind of alone a email rule based option of IF and Then) can setup multiple triggers.

Then click email tab and setup your email service, likely need server SMTP and POP etc I setup using the extremely fussy Gmail and worked ok, but you do need to online in your gmail account setup forwarding IMAP, then need to enter the correct pop and SMTP servers as well as port, in some cases as gmail doesnt use port 25 your ISP may block emails from them, but just setup a Windows Email account.

This is not an indepth way and will monitor temps and SMART, but others may have more options, I know I have used something free in the past on a Windows Home Server, but need to look through saved software list or an old blog list of mine.

3. PrivatePile

PrivatePile Private E-2

In case anyone stumbles upon this looking for the same thing....

Speedfan worked great, except the email portion seemed to be buggy. The PC would do a backup overnight and I'd get 100+ emails overnight b/c of temp. I increased the threshold, but it still kept the original levels. I couldn't seem to get it to change no matter what I did.

I ended up using 2 programs to accomplish what I wanted. I used SensorsView which seems to work awesome just as a temp monitor. It gives me alerts on temp which I setup flawlessly through gmail. I ended up using Acronis Drive Monitor to give me health on my HDDs. I had some trouble setting up the email alerts from gmail, but eventually got it to work. Seems to work pretty well for health on those.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds