Diagnostic Policy Service is not running

Discussion in 'Software' started by kornflakes7, May 15, 2015.

1. kornflakes7

kornflakes7 Private E-2

My laptop has been relatively working fine for the past 4 years. Yesterday I had trouble connecting to my wireless network. I tried using the ethernet but it still doesn't show connection to the network. Also, I can't access the firewall and can't change any settings on it. Same thing with my speakers, can't change the settings.

I did the windows troubleshoot and it showed that the Diagnostic Policy Service wasn't running. So I went on the services control and tried to start it seeing that it was stopped. That didn't work and it kept on saying Error5: Access denied. So I searched online for possible solutions and one person suggested adding network services and local services in the local group Administrators. I followed the steps and restarted the computer. It gave me control over my speakers and I'm able to connect to the internet. However, I still don't have access to the firewall and to shared folders on my wireless network.

I bring my laptop to work and access files on other computers through our wireless network. It would really be nice to be able to do that again instead of physically having to go to other computers and use a flash drive just to get files.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

I'm running a windows 7 OS

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to mention how you access the internet at home (the access currently broken). Dsl, cable, satellite, cell?
    Also mention the hardware involved: modem, router, gateway, etc.

Are there any other computers in the house? If so, are they also having problems connecting?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds