Outlook 2013 duplicating emails

Discussion in 'Software' started by ladyhawk92, May 17, 2015.

1. ladyhawk92

ladyhawk92 Private E-2

Hi
    Hope someone has a fix for this. I have been dealing with duplicate emails with Outlook 2013. Not sure what changed. Only thing new is upgraded Xfinity gateway modem. I cannot delete emails they just come back 100 fold. I had to go away for a few days and came back to 280,000 emails. When I delete them (which I cannot find a way to do in large number because program freezes - any suggestions?), I can just see the number next to inbox clicking away like a second clock.
    These emails also keep syncing with ipad and iphone.

Help!!!!!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version you using and what email service (as in the @xxxxxxx.com bit) as its very likely there could be corruption at the server level that is duplicating the emails, so in part you may need to speak to the email service you use.

Also give this a read HERE

3. Jman9

Jman9 Private E-2

Hi ladyhawk92,
    I think the problem has to do with Outlook not recognizing the emails have already been downloaded. I assume you're using POP rather than IMAP protocol. What I think is happening is that Outlook is downloading the same messages from the server each time you log in. If you can change to IMAP, it will be better, but if you can't change, you can go to the Outlook account configuration and uncheck the "Leave messages on server" box. Once you are not getting duplicate emails any more, you can try turning this back on.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It's possible you are being spammed. If duplicates are from the same address, and it is not an address that you know and wish to receive messages from in future, then try blocking it in Outlook.

5. ladyhawk92

ladyhawk92 Private E-2

Thank you for the responses.
    I am using Windows 7. Outlook and comcast are configured IMAP. The messages are all different but when I delete the 8 copies of the emails each copy duplicates itself 8 x and so on and so on. I was up to 294,000 emails. I have deleted all emails from both accounts but now Outlook is not receiving any emails. I have opened a gmail account and it copied my contacts from comcast and receives emails to gmail address but will not sync with comcast email address which is my default.

I have called comcast but they say if I am receiving and sending from comcast it is not there problem but Outlook problem so I am trying research similar problems on Outlook forums. No luck so far.

BTW Comcast (spoke to 3 different techs) could not tell me how to empty my inbox. Had to find it myself through trial and error.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds