Water Cooling?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarkyTee, Jul 30, 2004.

1. MarkyTee

MarkyTee Private E-2

(I've posted this same thread in the 'overclocking' section by accident....I couldn't see how to move or delete it from there, so I've reposted it here....sorry!)

Hey all!
    In an earlier post, I made a joke about my cooling fans....really it wasn't a joke . My case sounds like a tornado...my cpu isn't in Kansas anymore! I have the usual 80mm front fan, a 120mm rear exhaust, and a p.c.i. slot fan. Add to that a big ass Thermaltake copper heatsink/fan (there was another thread about copper vs. aluminum....YES copper does need a bigger fan!), the psu fan, the video card fan, and another 80 mm fan on top......WWHIIIIRRRRRRRRRR! That damn heatsink is actually the noisiest. Anyway, for the sake of quietness, as well as more efficicient cooling (i.e.-better overclocking... ), I've been considering a liquid chill setup. Can anyone recommend a good, but inexpensive kit/vendor? I realize that you get what you pay for, but I need to stay on the lower end of the price spectrum. A video card and/ or ramsinks would be great! After the initial setup, is there any regular maintenace on a liquid cooling system? Any stories, good or bad, that anyone has relating to their own water-cooled setup would be appreciated! This'll be new territory for me! Thanks.
    Mark.

2. kman

kman Private First Class

I used to have a case with 2 x 80mm side intake fans, 1 x 60mm rear intake fan, 2 x 80mm fans PSU fans, Thermaltake Volcano 7 cpu fan and a 120mm top blowhole fan running on my computer. It was way too loud. I bought a fan controller to slow the rpms down and it quieted it alot. After awhile, I wanted even quieter so I bought a Koolance Water-Cooled Case. I love it. It is near silent and it keeps the temps way down. The three top 80mm fans have a 3 speed setting. 1 - slow and quiet, 2- faster and just as quiet and 3 - fast and loud. I usually leave it on 1 or 2 and I never have to use setting 3. My temps never get over 90' Far/30' Cel. My refirgerator is louder than my case. I love it. I also have 2 rear exhaust fans but they are controlled by a fan controller and they are quiet. Basically, I love the case. Easy to install and I havent had any problems yet ( knock on wood ). :)

I am thinking about buying a fanless PSU next but I havent heard alot of good things about them. Anyone ever tried one or currently have one? :)

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

4. kman

kman Private First Class

Thanks for the PSU link. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds