Need help dell inspiron 8500 wont turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Malore, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Malore

Malore Private E-2

ok i had gotten a dell inspiron 8500 and it was working fine but overheating to the point where it would shut off so i did some reading and found out it was the video so i took it apart to look at it and noticed that the heat sink for the cpu was very loose so i cleaned off the heat sink and put on some more heatsink compound and tightened it and now when i try to turn the pc on the caps lock light just blinks at me

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If the heatsink compound is conductive check to see if you have spilled some on the surounding board and if it is a naked chip,check the bridges are clean.Also try a cmos reset.

3. Malore

Malore Private E-2

how excatlly do i do that

4. Rikky

Which part

5. Malore

Malore Private E-2

sorry cmos reset

6. Rikky

Do you have your mobo manual handy

7. Rikky

Also are you sure you haven't spilled any of the paste anywhere else?And what kind of cpu do you have what does it look like on top is it a flat piece of metal or small black chips

8. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

to reset your cmos is easy..first unplug main power. then look for the battery on your motherboard. eject it, then you'll see three prongs, 123. pull off the jumper thats on 1 and 2, and put it on 2 and 3. this shorts it....count to 10 or 30...put it back on 1 and 2. replace battery. cmos is reset

9. Rikky

The thing is though if he hasnt powered up the comp while there was no cpu in and non of the bios perameters were altered to cause the non power up I suspect the chip might have been damaged or the board shorted.

10. Jazagod

that could very well be that his proc overheated, tell us morale did you play around in your bios, and change settings? knowing this will say lots.

11. Malore

Malore Private E-2

no i do not have it right now i gto it to power up once by moving the heatsink on top around a bit it is a p4m with just a small black chip on top of it

12. Jazagod

i meant before you got the black screen, i would try just resetting cmos, that wont hurt a thing especially if it works, you can always get advice on clocking your machine if it does work, and if it doesnt work, you most likely have bigger problems than anyone would hope for.

lots of luck:)

13. Malore

Malore Private E-2

well i took my laptop apart totally looking for that cmos battery took out the mother board and cleaned it up a little bit put it all back together and now it seems to work fine thanks for all of your help though

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds