My computer won't start up anymore but is hard drive still usable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dvzon, Jul 2, 2007.

1. dvzon

dvzon Private E-2

My PC won't start up anymore. I do have a laptop so I was wondering if the Hard drive from the PC is still usable if I take it out and try transfering whatever I need from it to the laptop.

Will it be possible to transfer anything from the hard drive by itself (not inside the computer) to the laptop? Is there any way?

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You can use a usb adaptor if it is IDE (EIDE)- - get one off somewhere like fleabay.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If it is a sata drive, you could use a usb caddy.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Otherwise, you might get away with knoppix live cd - download to your laptop, burn iso to cd, and run it live from cd (no need to install.- a floppy on the pc would help to copy files to.-- that is if it has a working psu, and cpu .
    If nothing starts up, then , unless you have a few parts to substitue, to get it to start at all - that option is superfluous.

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

If the hard drive was not damaged, you can. You could get something like these and use your old hard drive as extra storage: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1204

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds