How do I create an XP user profile that doesn't load any networking functions?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pilot145XR, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Pilot145XR

Pilot145XR Private E-2

I wanted to know how to 1) Duplicate my existing profile (so I don't have to grant access or duplicate any settings, etc) and then 2) DISable my firewall, virus scanner, and all networking/internet functions in that profile.

I fly around the country a lot and would like a profile that I can use when my computer's not going to touch a modem, LAN, wireless, etc. I figured if it was configured as if networking was never going to touch it so that all networking background functions and my firewall (Zone Alarm) and virus scanner (Norton Anti-virus, corporate edition) was disabled, I'd get better performance.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. efibacchus

efibacchus Private E-2

being lazy and not really knowing much, all i would do is create a profile, and then disable all those functions inside the startup menu. it's a quick, but probably not very elegant, solution.

3. Pilot145XR

Pilot145XR Private E-2

If I create a new profile, and then go under the msconfig menu and tell it not to start up certain items, do those changed affect the other profile(s) or just that one?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds