Vista blue screen constantly, only runs in safe mode. Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by ajlaga, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ajlaga

ajlaga Private E-2

Alright so, a few days ago my brother used my computer and clicked on one of those msn viruses. I downloaded the msn virus removal program and ran it, and my computer seemed to be back to its good old ways. However, recently vista has just started breaking down. First of all the computer would'nt boot into normal mode and i would get an error message saying 'an UNsuported change has been made to windows' or something of the sort. I ran vista in safe mode and ran multiple virus scanners. I removed a large amount of trojans and then when i tried restarting vista, as it got into the log in screen the computer blue screens. So here i am, back in safe mode (network enabled). Completely dumbfouded.

Would appreciate help!
    thanks

Im running a Acer aspire 5710Z laptop, (about 2 years old) with a LEGIT vista copy.

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

What antivirus do you have?Only for this situation,download avast,and when install press yes for boot time scan.Naturally,uninstall present antivirus.

3. ajlaga

ajlaga Private E-2

no antivirus installed at the moment, because honestly i dont know which one to trust. Is avast worth the trouble downloading, wouldn't posting a Hijackthis log be of more help to an expirienced user?

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I respect this.;)

5. randommayham

randommayham Private E-2

If you don't have an anti-virus software, I owuld recommend getting CYberdefender. I had a lot of problems with some of the other ones so I downloaded Cyberdefender, and it really got rid of a lot of nasty things. They also have 24.7 computer support so you can call them if you get into a jam.

6. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Are you out if your mind? CyberDefender is malware - it's a rouge. Get rid of it and go to the malwareforum. Right now. Link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

7. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Its not malware.. its adware. malware infects, adware simply annoys (with pop-ups, etc)

However, it wouldnt hurt to run through the Read and Run Me and post the results of the scans in a new thread in the malware forum.

Its also not very nice to call someone names around here :p

8. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

9. dyamond

Hun, I know what malware is. I've been studying malware removal for months. Did you even read my post?

10. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Yes, I did. According to Wiki's definition this is malware.

11. dyamond

And wiki is always accurate rolleyes

12. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

It is "Rogue software" ....if you want to classify all adware, foistware, viruses, etc into one word..the people at wiki have it right. But we don't classify it that way. It's just a rogue program. It gives false reports. Not sure what the big argument is about. :(

13. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

You are of cause entitled to that opinion. However Spyware Warrior has this program listed as a rouge under the entry "SpyBlocs/eBlocs.com". Link: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

14. TimW

We arent going to argue about this. You say potato, I say potatoe....this has nothing to do with the OP's original guestion. You want to argue the details of the interpretation of "Malware", then take it to the lounge.

15. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Don't worry, TimW, we're not arguing. We had a healthy technical discussion making a case with links and quotes. The way it should be on a board like this. :cool

16. TimW

Good to hear you aren't arguing. :) But the thread was still hijacked!

17. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

TinW, we have one user with a malicious rouge software program installed encouraging another user to go and get it. :eek What else was could one do other than warn against it - this being a security board? Hijack or not...

18. TimW

Then since you warned him against it, I can delete all the other extraneous posts. :)

19. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Admins can always do what they want.

20. ajlaga

ajlaga Private E-2

this thread is no longer relevant to my interests :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds