hardware upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dalglish1, Apr 18, 2006.

1. dalglish1

dalglish1 Private E-2

hi..
    I am looking at improving my pc in order for it to run faster and better, mostly for gaming, music and the internet. i would like to know if upon inserting a new processor, would i lose anything that is stored in my pc such as music and games?

my pc currently has the following specs

System : Windows XP pro
    Processor : AMD Athlon MMX 3D Now, 1.2 GHz
    Memory : 248MB ram
    NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Graphics Card
    Hard disk space : 5GB out of 37.2GB

does anyone have any suggestions as to a processor to buy? it has to be a socket A one as well i think

cheers

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Changing your CPU should not affect your data. Of course, a backup couldn't hurt, and should be done regardless.

As for processors, I was quite happy with my AMD Athlon XP 2800+, aside from the fact that it ran hotter than hades. You may want to invest in a nice CPU fan to go with one! And don't forget the thermal paste!

3. Raistlyyn

Raistlyyn Private E-2

This is just my opinion, instead of getting a cpu first, I would put some more ram in....seem like 256mb would slow windows and all your games down. But thats just me....

4. dalglish1

dalglish1 Private E-2

cheers for the replies...
    does putting more ram in affect data and music that is stored in it? and how much should i look to put in?
    thanks very much

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Raistlyyn is absolutely right. A RAM upgrade would give you more performance for your dollar than a new processor. You might also try turning off XPs visual effects, as it improves performance quite noticably. To do so, follow the steps below:

1. Right-click My Computer
    2. Select 'Properties'
    3. Select the 'Advanced' tab
    4. Under 'Performance', press the 'Settings' button
    5. Select the 'Adjust for best performance' radial\
    6. Apply your settings

Also, minimizing the number of programs running in the background will free up the CPU time and memory they consume. The easiest way to maginalize background processes is to remove startup programs. To do that, follow the steps below:

1. Hit windows key + r (or click start --> run)
    2. Type 'msconfig' (without the quotes)
    3. Press enter (or click OK)
    4. Select the 'Startup' tab

Here, you will find a list of programs that are run when windows loads. The fewer you have, the less resources backgroud processes will consume. Also check the 'Startup' folder in Start --> All Programs. This also contains items executed at startup. You may want to look into disabling unnecessary services

6. Raistlyyn

Raistlyyn Private E-2

No adding RAM wont effect anything on your Hard drive, and as for how much, it all depends on how much you want to spend. At minimum i would put at least another 256MB in and bring your total to 512MB. But if you have the money then i would but as much as i could in. Just make sure you find out how much your motherboard can support, you dont want to buy more than you can use.

7. green11890

green11890 Private E-2

umm.... I have noticed upgrading the processor, you do not feel any difference in speed if you have one over 1.5 ghz.... what I am trying to say....

UPGRADE YOUR RAM:)

1gig will probably do:p

I personally have 3gb(thinking about 4 if i can raise the money) of ram but i built my own computer:D

8. chrisasdfjkl

chrisasdfjkl Private E-2

In my opinion, I find it hard to believe that you do not see performance differences between a 1.6GHz and a 3GHz processor..

Also, for the ram, I would add enough so that you end up with around 1GB of memory (finances providing; if not, go as much as you can up to 1GB), it seems to be the norm for light gaming and other use, with 2GB being reccommended for intense games such as Battlefield 2. 3GB and 4GB of ram just seems like overkill to me, correct me if I'm wrong.

To answer your question, I personally would skip the processor for now and add some ram to get more bang for your buck, as Mada_Milty and Raistlyyn have said. If you can afford it, go for the 1GB or so of ram and a processor around 2GHz (or the amd equivalent 2200+ or whatever)

Good luck

9. Raistlyyn

Raistlyyn Private E-2

He would need a new motherboard to get a 3ghz proc, and i doubt his mobo will support anything over a gig of ram.....from the specs he listed is seems like an older pc.

10. Raistlyyn

Raistlyyn Private E-2

Oh btw Green11890 getting windows to see anymore than 3 gigs of ram is extremly probematic. You would be waisting your money on 4 gigs.....assuming you have xp and not xp64

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yeap! XP has a limit of 4GB memory, and it counts the pagefile towards this. You couldn't have 4GB RAM and a pagefile. I also believe that video and audio ram counts towards this total!

12. chrisasdfjkl

chrisasdfjkl Private E-2

I was simply stating that

green11890: "umm.... I have noticed upgrading the processor, you do not feel any difference in speed if you have one over 1.5 ghz..."

is kindof a silly statement to make, there is a great increase going above 1.5GHz. I completely understand if the poster's motherboard limits his speed/type of processor. And the ram, from what I said before, go as high as he can go up to 1GHz.

13. green11890

green11890 Private E-2

what i am saying is i have known this from experience, and in my opinon i could not tell ne difference my laptop(intel pentium 1.5ghz) and my desktop(intel pentium 4 processor 3.06ghz[without HT on,] but i cold tell a big difference when i upgraded to 3gigs in my desktop and only 1gb in my laptop .

14. dalglish1

dalglish1 Private E-2

Thanks for your help guys.. btw, yes, it is an old pc!!
    i'm gonna go with the 1GB RAM upgrade.. does this increase my hard disk space at the same time?

15. Raistlyyn

Raistlyyn Private E-2

No, RAM has nothing to do with your HD space.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds