Right-click no longer working in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by MRM, Dec 16, 2012.

1. MRM

MRM Private E-2

I was trying to copy some files and noticed my Win 7 machine will not right-click to copy, paste, etc. I have checked the mouse drivers and they are updated. Even plugged in another mouse it and that didn't help either. Anyone run into this and know how to fix it? Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do I understand correctly that when you right click something, you get no menu?
    Does ctrl + C work to copy? Does ctl + V work to paste for text?

3. MRM

MRM Private E-2

That is correct whether it be in a Word program, Photoshop, Windows Explorer, or anything else. I just noticed it the other day.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, MRM...

Do you get the same symptoms when you boot the machine into Safe Mode? If not, then some 3rd-party program is suspect. If that is indeed the case, then you might be able to run msconfig and selectively disable the items in the Startup list until you find the culprit.

If, however, the problem persists even in Safe Mode, there's a possibility that some ContextMenuHandlers have become damaged, corrupt, missing, etc. - but we'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it.

5. Caliban

Another thought:

The possibility exists that some program and/or Windows update occurred that may have caused the problem - can you roll back to an earlier date (via System Restore) and see a change in symptoms?

6. MRM

MRM Private E-2

I did a system restore and that didn't work. I dug around and found another mouse. It works with that one. So the other mouse has a dead button. At least I know what the problem is now.

7. Caliban

As one of the MG gurus here always states: "Hardware trumps software".

Glad you got it sorted, MRM, and thanks for the feedback.

8. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

Go to : Tweaking.com and download "Windows Repair" exe. Within that wonderful program is a single listing to repair right click menu. OOPS! I didn't know it had been solved. But, do download that program and keep it handy for when Windows function stop working properly. Enjoy!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds