How can I restore deleted files by CCleaner?

Discussion in 'Software' started by vegasniceguy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. vegasniceguy

vegasniceguy Private E-2

My PC became infected with surfsidekick 3 and other malware. I don't know if my Norton anti-virus somehow got turned off or what. However, that is not my main concern right now.

I used Spybot, CWShredder, and the Ewido Security Suite to remove the malware. While in Safe Mode, I deleted some icons on my desktop. I didn't realize one of those icons was not just a shortcut, but was an actual application, Treepadbiz, with several databases I had created over the past four years. I then used CCleaner to cleanse the system.

When I later went to open Treepad, I realized I had deleted the app and all its files. I tried using Norton go-back but apparently CCleaner also deleted and system restore points.

I have tried a product called Restoration to find the deleted Treepad files but with no luck.

Did CCleaner do such a good job that I will not be able to restore the files it deleted? This is four years of work with very little old backups to fall back upon.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

Maybe restoration can't find it because,hopefully,it hasn't been deleted.

Use the search function to search all files and see what you come up with.

3. vegasniceguy

vegasniceguy Private E-2

Thank you for your suggestion, Franklin. Unfortunately, the search produced no results. I guess it definitely got deleted by CCleaner.

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

have you tried system restore within windows? ccleaner shouldnt have touched that.

5. vegasniceguy

vegasniceguy Private E-2

No, I haven't tried system restore within Windows. I honestly don't know much about it.

Thank you very much for your suggestion, I will look into it.

6. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Hi vegasniceguy,

If I understand correctly, you deleted the files and then ran CCleaner. In that case, yes the files are deleted. But, you may have success using a recover utility. I would suggest using software that recovers deleted data.

I don't think that System Restore will help in this matter because System Restore monitors only a core set of specified system and application file types (e.g. .exe, .dll etc), archiving the states of these files before system changes are made. System Restore does not monitor any user/personal data files. System Restore does not monitor changes to or recover personal data files such as Word documents, graphics, e-mail, etc.

Good Luck!
    K

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I am not that familiar with Norton's GoBack but from reading a few of the reviews and features you should have a couple of options. Have you looked into all the recovery functions of GoBacK?

One option mentioned was you might can recover individual files using GoBack and going thru Windows Explorer.

Just a suggestion but I would make sure I used every effort offered thru GoBack.

Steve

8. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Ah! :) Yes...I just looked and it has a "Recover deleted or modified files" feature. It looks like you probably can recover that data vegasniceguy.

9. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

This is just a suggestion, but given that you have four years of work missing, and if all else fails, it might be worth it to you to look into having those files professionally restored. I've never done it, or even looked into it, but I know that companies do exist who have means to undelete files that your average PC user doesn't have.

10. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

11. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Have you a second drive or second partition?

Installing any new software, or continuing to use your computer, in the same partition, will make it even more difficult to retrieve deleted stuff.

Use another drive or partition to install any new software because anything you do in the same drive, or partition, may/will overwrite the stuff you are trying to retrieve. Best of luck, though. Bazza

12. vegasniceguy

vegasniceguy Private E-2

Thanks to everyone who responded in an effort of assistance.

I had tried using the unerase feature in Norton. If I remember correctly, it only allowed retrevial from the recycle bin. The Goback feature did not work as CCleaner had erased any system goback points.

Using Restoration from a CD, I was able to recover a small portion of my files. However, as warned, I did not immediately stop using my PC and apparently some fiiles were overwritten. What a costly lesson, ignorance is not bliss.

I have not tried using the product from O&O Software, giving it one last go with Restoration.

The nice thing about this is discovering this forum where I hopefully will be able ot increase my knowledge base. Again, thanks to all who helped!

Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds