Cannot open Excel file

Discussion in 'Software' started by gbernier, May 12, 2010.

1. gbernier

gbernier Private E-2

I've got a bit of a weird problem. I have a number of Excel files on an external drive. I'm using a Dell 531 running Vista Ultimate with Office 2007. I say it's weird because one file will open fine and the one right next to it will not - I get a message the cannot be found. I can see the file, I can look at the properties and all seem fine. It just will not open either from my Excel program or by double clicking the file icon.

To make it even stranger, I can email the recalcitrant file to my older Dell 9200 laptop - also running the Vista Ultimate and the file opens normally.

OK, it just got even stranger yet. I downloaded OpenOffice on my 531. The OpenOffice spreadsheet opens the Excel file that MS Excel couldn't open.

It's not that I can't get the information, but I'd just like to understand why this is happening and can I fix it. It will be a real pain if I have switch computers or application programs to read specific Excel files.

Any thoughts:confused?

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

It might just be having a bit of a hissy fit.
    What happens if you email the version on your Dell 9200 back to your Dell 531?
    Also, try making a straight copy of it and see if that will open.

3. gbernier

gbernier Private E-2

Hissy fit -- that's actually a pretty good description of this.

The file attached to the email does open normally (I have the same mail account on both computers, so the email with the file was already on the 531.) I will try saving a file to the same folder and see if it will open.

As I said, this wasn't a critical issue this time. But, putting a file on a storage disk and then not being able to access it could be. Saving a copy of the file or even emailing to myself are acceptable work arounds. But, if there is some underlying cause why an application program could find some files and not others in the same area of a disk I'd like to understand it. Of course, it could just be that Vista is having another hissy fit.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Does this problem ever occur with Excel files on the internal hard drive?

5. gbernier

gbernier Private E-2

No, to the best of my recollection, it never has.

The external drive is 1 TB WD that I use for backup and to store a lot of work related files. The Excel files are all in subfolders under a main folder. Again as best I remember, all the Excel files were created on my Dell 9200 using either Excel '03 or '07.

It is obvious there is nothing wrong with the files - since I can open them with the 531 or the 9200 from an email. For some reason the 531 can't find the path to some of the files, but it can to others. The only reason I'm making a point of this is that I hate to have this happen to files I really needed. And needed fast.

6. derron

derron Private E-2

I find it funny that Openoffice (a free program) opens all the files needed.. but a microsoft product used to open a microsoft file... and costs money.. doesn't work.

hmmmmmmm... lol

sry.. i had to get that out there...

7. gbernier

gbernier Private E-2

I couldn't agree more.

I just installed ubuntu on a Gateway laptop. This is beautiful; I tried to install Vista over XP, the installation failed (a bios problem I believe), then I couldn't reinstall XP - it couldn't find a hard drive anymore. I spend two days trying to slipstream HD drivers onto an XP install disk and trying to put bios flash files onto a rescue disk. Nothing worked. Finally, I nuked the HD with dBAN and installed ubuntu. I was up running with a full complement of apps, email was set up, and I was connected to my home network in less than hour.

And as I get into this OpenSource stuff I'm amazed at the number of programs. I'm stunned. I've had to restrain my self from using the dBAN disk on all my computers....that may happen yet.

Why is it we pay Microsoft thousands of dollars?

8. derron

derron Private E-2

good question lol... im using ubuntu right now.. and sometimes cant laugh as im trying to help some people with their problems.

There is just so many more people working on linux than windows... its the advantage open source has over closed source. Windows is however still way more user friendly tho.. when it works!!! lol... but still windows is easier to use linux still has some ways to go.. but then again.. thats still if windows works!! lol

9. gbernier

gbernier Private E-2

You're right on.
    I consider myself to be modestly knowledgeable with computers, certainly not a geek bt any stretch. I'm comfortable with Windows because I've been using it for about 20 years. I know where to look for stuff. The Linux based systems like ubuntu are definitely uncomfortable because I don't know the language of debs and other terms. It also seems to demand a greater knowledge of the system. But, if you're inclined to learn it is an awakening. I'm impressed with the history, the culture, the growth, and the mechanics. But, what really threw me was when I started finding out about all the programs that are available---free (or at least for whatever contribution your conscience dictates.)
    It's also not like these programs are being turned out by teenage geeks in a basement - Open Office is offered by Oracle. Now I'm trying to figure out the business model - this can't just be altruism. But, the philosophical foundation of the Open Source movement is impressive.

10. derron

derron Private E-2

ya.. same with me...

I have been fixing computers for numerous people since i was like 14 yrs old.. im 23 right now. I had a customer who had a laptop that was messed up and all he used it for was web browsing and email. I put ubuntu linux on it.. and I got all praise from him.. he was so much more happy with it than ever.

You have to think of debs as exactly like exe's on windows.. what ever program you want.. you want a .deb.. just like in windows most things only work with a .exe ... or an APT file for that matter.. sry forgot about that..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds