Firmware download destroyed DVD-Rom drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m79vest36, Apr 29, 2008.

1. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Recently I downloaded firmwareto my built in fm Dell a DVD-rom Samsung drive & now realize it was for slimware for Samsung. The download rendered the drive inoperatible & had to be replaced. Would someone know what did the firmware contain that would destroy the hardware? Actually a blessing because Dell suggested the Sony DRU-180A + & - Rewritable burner & I am finding it to be great! Much better drive than I've ever had in any computer. Thanks....

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The firmware basically did nothing other then tell the Drive's Bios to do things that it could not, and basically you have a doorstop. Question though, if you where not having problems why put a Firmware on the device?

3. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Thanks much for the responses. I orginally decided after skimming through some articles about why my drive was not recognizing CD-R's & how to remedy. Now, being a whole lot wiser I learned that some drives are not made to support ( - ) functions...only ( + ) functions. Now that I have an up to date Sony DVD writer that reads & writes both movies, + & - DVD's, CD-R & CD+R's...I'll be good for awhile until that technology changes & becomes obsolute.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds