Help needed with backing up Outlook email folders and settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by miuna, May 14, 2007.

1. miuna

miuna Private E-2

I need to upgrade from Windows Me to Windows Xp, anyone can please tell me how can I backup everything in Outlook Express for an easy restore after reinstalling Windows?:)

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You can save your email addresses by selecting File>Export>Addresses and save them to a text file on a flash drive or disk. You can save your emails by selecting File>Export>Messages and saving them to the Microsoft Exchange.

To retrieve them after upgrade, simply selecting File>Import and navigate to the drive/location where you saved them.

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  3. cr.Gena

cr.Gena Private First Class

You may do it manually by saving folders with account information or using any mordern backup software like True Image which is able to do it automatically.
    You need to backup the foolowing items: messages, the address book, mail accounts, news accounts.
    The step by step instruction:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670/en-us

4. miuna

miuna Private E-2

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
    That was just like what I needed. However, if I am to choose between a manual backup and a automated one ( made by a software ) I would go
    with the last one, because I'm not the "do it your self" type, and I'm afraid of the possibility of losing it if I don't do the backup just right. Too bad the OE Quick Backup has been discontinued.. Sounded like a nice application. However, after searching for similar software tools on the web I've found several , such as http://www.amicutilities.com/outlook-express-backup/
    This look like my problem is solved.
    Thank you!
    :)

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You missed the boat. First, the OP needs to clarify whether he means Outlook or Outlook Express. But, the balance of evidence seems to indicate Outlook Express. And, even if he meant Outlook, you don't know whether his Outlook is on an Exchange server.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Outlook Express messages can be backed up without a third party tool such as the one at the link you posted. But, such tool will definitely make it easier and, I'd say, provide greater peace of mind if you're not comfortable with digging into the underlying OE message files to accomplish a backup.

7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Those instructions are for directly exporting the information out of Outlook Express, since the OP clearly states that is what he/she is currently using and wanting to save from.

If he/she is not on an exchange server then he/she simply has to let us know that :) To criticize mine and the other person's helpful response really wasn't necessary, especially since the OP has "just what they needed" from those responses.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Guess you need to start reading posts more carefully in future, as Outlook Express was the email application in question from the very first post, further post that critise other members without due cause or do not add anything to the thread other that a repeat of what has already been said will be deleted.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds