Help with a form and submitting it

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Jul 7, 2005.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Hi guys, I'm new here, don't know if this is the right forum...

I am using FrontPage 2000 (I have heard I should be using DreamWeaver. Well, I'm broke and I am not fluent enough to use Notepad, heh.)

A friend and I are trying to start a small business selling custom PCs. I made a page with several form fields (I guess that is the right term) and they are all in the same table.

Originally I had several different groups of radio buttons, basically I had like

Operating System
    -Windows XP Home
    -Windows XP Pro
    -Windows XP MC

And each - indicates a radio button. I have several groups of those radio buttons to specify hard drive, etc. etc. I am looking for something like the Dell or Alienware Website where the customer can select these things and submit them to me. I couldn't get the submit button to work that is embedded in FrontPage, and even then I ran across the problem of how to submit all the forms with one button. I thought putting them in a table would help; it didn't. It did, however, help my organization.

Anyway, I want to be able to submit all the forms with one button to my email and the only way I can find through Googling to do this is with CGI. No idea what that is and I really want to keep this simple. Also one other thing that would be nice is to have a script to add the prices together. Like if you go to Alienware's Website and customize a PC, it has a price that follows you down on the right and goes with you by the scrollbar. It adds or subtracts an amount based on which radio buttons you click.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
    Cody

2. askantik

askantik Sergeant

By the way,

I am getting word from some people online that I will need to use PHP or some other server language... And basically am I not only confused as to how to do this, I am also getting the impression that I will have to scrap the page I've been working on, and it looks exactly how I want it to look, but I can't figure out how to submit it.

Is there a way to use what I have and can anyone explain this to a dummy? :eek:

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Do you know what web server operating system you are hosted on? Is it linux or windows?

if windows, you can zip the files up and post them here and I'll make them work.
    Things I will need.

• The website of your hosting company so I can check if they have any email components that are being used so I can code for that.
    • The email address to send the email to
    • Other form requirements i.e. required fields etc.

4. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Kodo,

I haven't picked a server yet. If you can fix it for me I could just pick a server with these attributes when ready-- and might you have any in mind? I need a domain and some webspace.

Cody

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

get domain here
    www.godaddy.com

I like these guys for webhosting
    http://www.webhost4life.com/hosting.asp

if you're going to use frontpage, then you should use a windows server. The basic plan is 5 bux a month but you have to pay in full for a year. If you dump them during that time frame, they pro-rate your account.

I know what these guys use for components so I can put it together for you in a short period of time. Just need your requirements. Now remember, what I build you absolutely cannot open in FrontPage..it will bork the code and it will become useless.

6. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I uploaded the page to http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/askantik

Also, any idea how to do the price calculation thing like I was talking about? The starting price is $450 and I want whatever options they pick to add onto that... If you know where I can get a script to do that, that'd be great. I think it'll have to be JavaScript, but not 100% sure on that.

Thanks for your help :)

By the way, any way for me to see it working without having to pay first for the webspace and upload it onto a server?

Cody

By the way, the email is xanthozephyr279[at]hotmail.com. Does there need to be a confirmation page?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds