Looking for Cheap Graphing/Calculus Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adrynalyne, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

As cheap as possible, even free :D

Anyway, looking for a program like Autograph that is just as user friendly.http://www.chartwellyorke.com/autograph.html

Its a shame that Windows doesnt come with Grapher, like OS X does (on Pro machines).

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Looking for Cheap Graphing/Calculus Software. Adrynalyne <<

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but the freeware program called AnalyticMath 1.1.3 is a cross-platform (Windows, Linux, etc.) mathematics/plotting program with an editor and integrated 'auto-calc' features.

Note: Requires Java Runtime Environment. Get the latest JRE version Here at Major Geeks

Good Luck!

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I will check these out when I get a chance. Thanks for taking the time :)

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

AnalyticMath is out. It couldnt even graph x^2+y^2=25. If it fails on a circle, it definitely won't suit my needs.

The first free Grapher had potential, but still cannot do something as simple as x^2+y^2=25.

Same with zGrapher.

6. candive

candive Corporal

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Um...that completely doesnt address my needs. Take a look at autographer in my first post, and you will see that its nothing like that.

I don't need a calculator.

8. candive

candive Corporal

Sorry.

I should slow down & "Read the question"

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its all good. I'll use the trial for now.

:)

10. plodr

What do you want to graph? algebra, geometry, polar coordinates, ... As a retired math(s) teacher, once I know how detailed a graph you need, I can search a bit further. What course are you studying?

Throw some samples this way and I'll test to see if the programs pass or fail. It will save you time you don't have to try programs that won't suit your needs.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Calc II.

The programs fail in ease of use, and their inability to type an equation exactly how it is written. I don't need the program, but being that I am a visual learner, it helps that I can visualize the problem, and this program does it better than a graphing calculator.

Extremely basic example.

I want to calculate the area between two functions. Not only will Autograph graph it exactly as written (which saves me time in both plotting, and/or translation for a calculator), but I can also check my answer by calculating the area using riemann sums, amongst others. I can also color code each equation, even adjust the thinkness of their lines.

If those can do it, great! Alas, with my heavy course load, I do not have time to be teaching myself applications. Autograph is incredibly intuitive, which is why I wanted something similar.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

13. plodr

I showed your request to my husband (retired hs and college math instructor - calculus was his specialty). Unfortunately, the program he used on the computer was simple graphing. For what you want, he used a TI89 with a cable link to the computer. He gave it back when he retired. Sorry.

Wonderful that you can't find a price anywhere for Autogrph; probably because you'd fall off the chair if you saw it.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I did find the prices :/

30.00 for student licenses, which requires a site license. My college doesnt offer it.

Instructor license for like 165.

Site license for several thousand.

Oh well. I have a Ti-89, but its that whole translation thing...it takes too much time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds