Please Help! Having major problems with Gateway PC GT 4016

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCrash, Jan 26, 2008.

1. PCrash

PCrash Private E-2

HI. I am very tech challenged--which is why I waited so long to inquire about the following problems I've been having.

My PC is nearing on 2 yrs. old this coming April. I use it mostly for basics: e-mail, Internet searching, and word processing. I also save photos and have a small music library mostly of CDs I've burned onto my computer. I dont download much of anything. However, about 6 months ago, I was experiencing major pop-ups. I know that in this day and age, this problem should be annihilated, I dont know how this happened. Through the advice of many, I downl-oaded Spybot, Adaware and Firefox. They problem didnt go away--it got worse! Pop-ups all the time, my computer is suuuuper slow, it shuts off on me all the time, will restart, find no signal, then restart again all on its own. I finally have to turn off my powersupply, unplug everything, and that seems to get things back on track..till the next episode. I've since removed all programs I was advised to install.

What's worse is I share an Internet connection with another computer in the house. My constant turning off of the power supply is affecting the other computer.

What can I do to fix this mess? Can I download something to clean-up my computer? What program should I run to clean-up? I dont want to lose any pictures or music. If this doesnt work, whats my next best bet? Take it into to Best Buy? I dont have a lot of money to spend, and I dont want to get ripped off.

I would truly appreciate your time and advice on what I need to do.

Thank you so much,
    PCrash

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi PCrash and welcome to MajorGeeks.
    You need to follow the instructions in this link - http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
    The guys in the Malware forum will get you straightened out.
    They are the best but they are also volunteering their time and very busy so please be patient.
    Good Luck

3. PCrash

PCrash Private E-2

Thanks for responding.

I went to the link you posted, and am trying to follow the directions step by step, but I cant seem to get past downloading CCleaner. I click on the CCleaner links, but it takes me to sites that aren't CCleaner. I finally just downloaded one that looked trustworthy, Regcure, but it only cleaned up so little, I must register for them to go ahead and fix the problems they detected, but I'm hesitant b/c I think the want to charge me money, so then I uninstalled it. What should I do?

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

If you are having problems getting to links, don't download anything besides what the instructions tell you to.
    When you are in a position to make your first post in the malware forum, make sure you tell them exactly what has been used and not used.
    (You can also reach CCleaner by going to the MajorGeeks home page - majorgeeks.com and using the "Top Freeware Picks" link in the upper right corner. You can also use the "Drive Cleaners" link on the left hand side under Files.)
    Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds