Insight appreciated re Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by juno jones, Mar 17, 2008.

1. juno jones

juno jones Private E-2

Here's a poser.

My cousin and his wife, who are absolutely the least computer savvy people on the face of the earth, brought their computer over for me to take a look at. They were complaining that they couldn't get software to load, etc. They were absolutely sure they had Win2000 OS. Turns out that they had Ubuntu installed. No wonder the windows stuff wasn't loading, eh?

To complicate things further, They had basically bought the system used a few months ago for their daughter who, in cryptic teenage fashion, had secured everything with passwords that she never wrote down and now can't remember- so when you start up you get a screen asking for a password that as far as I can tell, you can't get past. (I haven't tried going into the bios, etc yet)

SO...any great ideas on how I can get past the passwords, salvage anything of 'value', and reinstall a new OS, most likely windows due to their lack of savvy and the previously bought programs... a dual OS would probably be OK, although, most of the sites I've seen insist that Windows must be installed first.

I have always wanted to try linux-based programs myself :eek: , but under far better circumstances (like properly installed dual-boot, etc). Afraid I know nothing about this particular OS at this time.

I'm crossposting this in the software forum as well. Thank you all in advance. I don't come here often but I always get great advice!:)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have a few thoughts you might want to bring up to your cousin when his daughter isn't around.
    Maybe the computer did come with Windows 2000. His daughter could know enough to install Ubuntu, dual boot with Win 2K, make Ubuntu the default OS to boot into and suppress the boot screen so that the 2K option never shows. Or perhaps she removed 2K and installed Ubuntu in its place. She may know the password, just doesn't want Mom and Dad to know what she is doing on the computer.
    Is she computer-savy enough to do this?

Have you booted it up and watched the boot screen? Was there a chance to boot into windows at all?

I can't tell you how to get into Ubuntu if the pass is not known because I don't run Ubuntu. There might be a way to run a live ubuntu CD and change the password. If you can't change the password, you might be able to create a new user with a password. Once this user gets in, you might be able to change to sudo and change the password on the other account. I just don't know. Someone who runs Ubuntu will have to correct my possible false assumptions.

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Juno jones, post on the Ubuntuforums.com and they can give you quicker help on recovery of your passwords.

I of course suggest you reinstall Ubuntu!
    Once set up with Firefox, and OpenOffice, Amarok, and the plugins it will seem like a windows box to them.

4. mikkh

mikkh Private First Class

I've got to agree with 'plodr' Maybe daughter thinks she's being clever and hiding Windows

Quick way to find out is to remove the Linux boot loader

Boot from a 98/ME boot floppy and use the following command

Code:
    fdisk/mbr
    That will reset the MBR and if Windows is installed - it will then boot Windows

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds