Need help - Windows XP unable to load local profile + unable to reformat

Discussion in 'Software' started by khantor, Jan 5, 2011.

1. khantor

khantor Private E-2

Hey all!

Sorry i need help with my laptop and i'm hopeless with IT. My laptop (running on windows xp - home) suddenly went bonkers yesterday. whenever i start my comp 2 messages will come up.

the first one says "windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile...."

the second one says "windows cannot load the local profile and is loading you with a temporary profile..."

i tried to use the recovery disc to reformat my comp but everytime i will encounter an error message "setup was unable to create, locate or modify a critical file (c:\\BOOT.ini) needed to start windows xp. access is denied" and then it would just undo all the changes. but when i go to my computer => properties => advanced => recovery and setup i could edit the boot file

i tried pressing f2 to access bios or f10 on start up to try to boot my comp using cd but somehow the option is not available to me.

do you have any advice as to how to sort this out?

thanks!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Make and model of computer? I ask because F2 is not the key I press on some of my computers to access the BIOS. I need to be sure you are selecting the correct keys.

3. khantor

khantor Private E-2

hi!

fujitsu s2020. i may have type in the wrong key but i did access bios just that i could not select boot from cd. there was actually an "!" beside the boot from cd option when i pressed enter.

thanks!

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

F2 is the proper key to enter the BIOS.
    The 4th "tab" over is Boot. Select that then arrow down to Boot Device Priority.

You might see floppy disk drive with a + in front of it, hard disk drive with a + in front of it and CD-ROM
    I think that + and space will move the device up

Shift and the 1 key will enable or disable a device.

Highlight the CD-ROM and keep pressing + until it is at the top of the list.

Pressing F10 will save this change when you exit the BIOS.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds