DVD Recorders recording tv

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tray-C, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

I'm looking at getting a dvd recorder with a hard drive, and would like to be able to record 2 programs at the same time.
    Is it possible to record one show onto a dvd disc and another show onto the hard drive? Would I need additional equipment to do this? If so, what would I need?
    I have Comcast cable for tv.

Sorry, but my knowledge of the dvd recorders is somewhat limited.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Oh, one more thing: I don't want TiVO.

Thanks,
    Tracy

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

No, due to you will only be able to record to the hard drive of the DVD recorder, and only if you have a tuner (ie CATV box, or VCR). You are better off getting TiVo, or the Comcast DVR. Even easier is getting a MCE system, or even building a MythTV system for recording off the air/cable.

3. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

I'll still be able to record to dvd disc's though right? Even though it'll have a hard drive. Choosing between recording to hard drive OR a disc ??

Tracy

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Not off of CATV, due to encryption schemes. The reason for the Hard drive, is so you can store multiple programs, and then record over to the DVD. DVD recorders are becoming a dieing breed, even though they are still sold (cheaper nowdays),due to MCE, TiVo, DVR's are the mainstream now. The way that they are created is to be able to record to the Hard drive, then move the recording over to the DVD. Burning directly to a DVD can be done, but would be a waste of a disc if you screw it up.

5. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

How much do DVD disks cost in Central IL.? :)

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

That is not the point. The point is, recording directly to a DVD off of a DVD recorder that has a built in Harddrive is pointless. The reason for the Hard drive is to store the file that you recorded off of Cable, or Air, is so you can be able to record only the part of the file that you want, or store multiple programs to be recorded on a DVD.

7. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

I understand the process. Must be pretty expensive.

8. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

I have MCE, but no tv tuner.
    Are you saying then that since I have MCE, it would be better to get a tv tuner in my computer, then anytime I want to watch a recorded show from tv, to watch it at my computer (not a fun choice for 2 people to watch) or record it to a dvd so i can watch it out in the living room?
    I had been using dvd rw disc's for the past 3 months on an Ilo dvd recorder in the living room. But they (the dvd recorders) have all died and don't want to get another Ilo brand.
    The problem comes when there are 2 shows on at the same time that needed to be recorded from different channels.

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes Tray-C. Getting a TV Tuner for your MCE computer would be cheaper then spending a good deal on a DVD recorder that could be crippled possibly by CATV encoding. They are great for moving old VHS movies over to DVD though.

10. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

So....getting a tuner for my computer would require me to record cable tv onto my computer, then record it to a dvd rw in order to watch it in the living room, and like a vhs tape, erase it and keep using it again?

Also, are you saying that CATV encoding was causing my Ilo dvd recorders to cripple?

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

CATV is encoded on particular channels to keep people from using DVD recorder units from saving. Works the same as MacroVision. As for recording on the computer, you would then be able to share as a server to other computers throughout the house what was saved (ie media server).

12. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

I have 2 computers, using a router. The tv set is not connected in any way to the computers and I have no desire to have it designed that way. I want to keep my computers completely separate from my television.

Are you saying that with a tv tuner in my computer, I COULD record to my hard drive on the computer, record it the show(s) onto a dvd rw disk, then put the disk in a regular dvd player attached to the tv and watch it????

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds