Malware removal without connection to internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by digitbyte, Mar 3, 2010.

1. digitbyte

digitbyte Private E-2

Hello and thanks already for the opportunity to post my first question.:confused. I am helping a friend with her OLD computer (OS is XP - DELL Inspiron 500 series - Bios Version A08 - 1,40 GHz CPU Intel 855GM/855GME - RAM 256 MB) after BSoD problems. From a previous scan (Avast) when pc worked there were WARMS infection. The pc has had irregular and complex start up patterns which began for months with black screens with fault meldings and shutdowns and start problems and ended up last week or so with BSoD.

Luckily i was successful, after long troubleshooting and letting the pc rest, to boot up Windows. So i looked immediately in Device Manager, to see a Yellow Triangle on the CPU and a a yellow Exclamation Mark on the PCI-Networkcard (drivers/ hardware issue i thought). But then the PC shut out so i couldnt troubleshoot these devices. (My friend said that that triangle on the processor sit there already 1 1/2 year but she did not understand what does it mean and therefore did not do anything about it:cry).

I made a troubleshoot plan, when or if i get him to start again, and i thought i have FIRST to clear the system from all malware and boot from Safe Mode WITH NETWORK. But when i finally had success to boot again and got in Safe Mode I thought I go one more time to the device manager because the first time i could'nt click on the CPU and PCI. Windows opened in Safe Mode but because the PC VERY SLOW, The PC went out again. And after that i tried all options on the Windows Advanced Menu and every time it stops and dont go further than the BIOS screen, Windows Screen or only "F2, F12".

Sorry if the text took so long. NOW HERE COMES THE QUESTION:

If i burn the last updated version Malewarebites' and SuperAntiSpyware on 2 cd's, one for each, and run them on Safe Mode on that computer (if it will be possible again) is this effective as running the programs in a normal computer
    that is connected with Internet (because the virus in this computer has disabled the networkcard). Now i have some knowledge of computers and i am thinking that when you scan for a virus you have to be connected to the database in the server of the company that makes that antivirus program. So its possibly not effective to do it from a downloaded and then burned CD without internet connection. Please All suggestions are welcome! :clap

Regards

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You do not have to be connected to the internet to run scans. You can download them to one computer, save the .exe file that you downloaded to a CD or USB flash drive, and install it from the disk to the infected computer. Then you just run your scans.

A lot of times that is the only option, in fact.

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

If you check the malware forum they do say you can run scans with removable memory devices. And you would have to start a thread there to get their help.
    But first I would attempt to save/backup any data on the computer that is wanted. You never know how the process will go.:wave

4. digitbyte

digitbyte Private E-2

Thanks a lot LauraR! If i understand you right, it should be enough to burn the .exe file of the antivirus program (SO NOT THE WHOLE PROGRAM) on a CD then run that on the infected pc...Right!!!:confused

5. digitbyte

digitbyte Private E-2

Thanks a lot brandypeppy! I am surely going to follow your advice about a new thread in the MALWARE FORUM (i know now:-o). And the back up thing is well in taking care of!:wave

6. LauraR

Yep. Exactly.

What you want to do is download the software to your computer. You want to copy that file that you downloaded (not the installed version) onto your CD (honestly, it would probably be easier for you to just use a USB flash drive), insert it into the infected pc and install it from there.

Again, you do not want to actually install the software onto your computer and copy it, you are just copying the downloaded file that is used for installation.

7. LauraR

Now, if you are planning on starting a thread in the Malware Forum, you will need to follow all their steps in the READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide before posting. Then you would post the logs that are requested in a new thread. If all steps can't be completed, you just move on to the next step and make a note.

8. digitbyte

digitbyte Private E-2

Ok, so far so good, thanks for your help! Please let me know if this is the right thing to do: I use already Malwarebites' and SuperAntiSpyware on mijn laptop, but for what you suggested I down loaded Malwarebites' from www.download.com > I got small window on my desktop with mbam-setup.exe > which says SAVE ON > so i saved it (actually burned it) on a CD-R. I opened the CD and there was the execution file mbam-setup.exe. So if i understand you right if i run this CD on the infected pc (first i have to get him started) i can then install Malwarebits' on it and scan for virus's or may be run it directly from the CD!!! Is this really enough or am i not getting it right...Please Feedback if possible:confused

The reason of my doubt is when you get to the step APPLY with normal installation you install the program on the pc witch is connected to internet; thus to the server and database of the company of the program; comparing with opening the .exe file from the cd which is running on the infected pc without internet and installing it (apply) on the pc in order to run it. So if this really works than i am so thankful and happy of course:-D

PS i use CD-R and not USB-stick to avoid infection.

9. digitbyte

digitbyte Private E-2

Thanks for all the help! im going first to try the cd's; otherwise im surely be coming back!:wave

10. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

11. LauraR

Personally, what I would suggest is you download from MajorGeeks. While you can get them from download.com and will most likely be fine with these particular downloads, they do Not test all their downloads for infection, while the owners here at MGs do. You will not find a single infection in any of the downloads offered here. Okay, so...

I would download this: SUPERAntiSpyware and follow these instructions: SUPERAntiSpyware - running & getting a log

Then download this: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and follow these instructions: Using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware It is very important to change the file name as stated in the first part of the instructions.

You should also follow dr moriarty's instructions for the definitions.

Now, having said all that, other than letting you know how to do this, you will have to follow all the instructions in the READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide if you would like more instructions on removing malware.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  12. digitbyte

digitbyte Private E-2

Thanks for all the help. I am going to try what you've suggested. I hope it works; otherwise i will follow the instructions in the READ & RUN ME FIRST on Malware Removal Guide before asking further questions about this subject. :tas

13. digitbyte

digitbyte Private E-2

Hi dr moriarty,

Thanks for your feedback. I checked on both locations for down load and i think that it should work fine. However i wait for that until the laptop first can start; then i down load the most actual definition of both databases :strong

14. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

You're very welcome!

15. digitbyte

digitbyte Private E-2

Thanks all for the help; but I have to stop this thread cause unfortunately the laptop technically has stopped working :cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds