Windows Explorer replacement?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-7f4ca145be, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Are there any products that functions like Windows Explorer, only FASTER! Explorer is soooo slooooow when clicking on a folder to reveal contents. I used to use Ontracks Power Desktop, but it started crasing a lot.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

what OS are you using?

3. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

I like 2xExplorer. Dual pane view, smaller memory footprint, many more features than Windows Explorer. And, it's free :)

4. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Sorry. running Windows 98

5. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

I am also running win98se and have been using Powerdesk for about ten years or more. In the beginning it was called WizManager and the company was Mijenix (and I was running win3.1). For me it is the best explorer or file manager of all.
    Maybe you should reinstall or update it to version 5.

6. JSDK

JSDK Private E-2

Total Commander is not free but if you like that window to window interface it is the best - as in most stable/most features. Regular copy/move/delete use is only top of iceberg, very tweakable, can do just about everything really but not necessary. Has a nag-screen when you start it up but thats it - should work forever. Worth paying for btw.

http://www.efsoftware.com/ EF commander FREE 3.70 is very nice for basic use, thats what most do anyway.

What you like the most is often what you are used to so new Powerdesk should be checked out for sure. Many like it but there are alternatives to that too. Called Powerdesk 5 Express now? http://www.v-com.com/download/index.html they say "no time limit" for that category so guess that is the one.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2003
  7. offmdan

offmdan Guest

Have been using PowerDesk on my Win98SE now for a few years now and have no problems.
    Excellent program! Much better than Windows Explorer.
    Perhaps keni254 should contact their support team.

8. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

In addition to what everyone else states: you can also use Winfile.exe located in C:\Windows to give you an old Windows 3.1 file manager - this is bundled in with Windows 98 for free. It doesn't allow for long file names and uses the old 8.3 file-name style. However, it does allow for multiple windows within its MDI interface plus all the old tricks with Windows 3.1.

The differences (according to the on-line help) from Windows 3.x are:

A toolbar helps you perform common tasks more quickly.
    Commands on the Disk menu make it easy to connect to and disconnect from network drives.
    New-style icons are used for files.
    You no longer can drag a file from File Manager to print it.

9. IVnktr

IVnktr Private E-2

I use Powerdesk.

It has dual panes, which is somthing I really like.

It can zip and unzip.

It can remember settings so it starts in detailed view on the directories you want.

You can open a command window anywhere with a button click.

They have a trial edition with no time limits, but with advertising flashes, at:

v-com.com/product/pd_ind.html

10. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

This is the one I use and would recommend

11. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

One reason for Windows Explorer being slow could be that other software have made "hooks" into explorer. F.ex. this is very common for AntiVirus software to do this. If such software doesn't behave well (uses too much CPU etc.) because of bad design or mis-configuration, then it will affect the performance of Windows Explorer.

12. Thing

Thing Guest

hello

i use microsoft windows 98se with the explorer of microsoft windows 95 ocr2, if you do not know, this version of explorer is webless, it is great.

bye

13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

are you talking about windows98 lite?

14. Thing

Thing Guest

hello

yes... as my other post.

bye

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds