computer speakers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by splitt3r, Jan 12, 2006.

1. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

is this a decent set of computer speakers for the price, i want to use these for gaming and music, I want some speakers with great bass and they need to be loud and clear, i am using cyberacoustics 2.1 speaker system right now, it is pretty good but I want surround sound and something a bit more powerful, also the CA speakers I have now sound fuzzy and distorted at high volumes. also does a soundcard like the audigy-2 or X-fi really make a big difference with this set of speakers? and does it affect game performance at all, the X-fi ads say it increases game performance but I don't know if that is really the truth.

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You need to put this in the hardware forum, splitter :)

3. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Umm, what speakers? Would help to know what ones you're thinking of. Most all the Klipschs and the better Logitechs sound good, have good bass, and hold up at high volumes. Others vary widely, most not as good.

A good soundcard can make differences, depending on what you're currently using, how good your speakers are, and how picky your ears are. Most of the newer onboard sound systems do sound good for music and movies, but don't support the latest EAX protocols, which can make game sounds noticably better. Game performance is also improved from a real soundcard, as it relieves the CPU of sound related duties, increasing frame-rates a SMALL amount.

4. splitt3r

5. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

I think they have these speakers at sams club (us)

6. G.T.

I suspect you'd be dissapointed with those splitt3r.

A 5 1/4" "woofer" in a 9x9x6" enclosure won't produce real bass, and 25 watts isn't enough to push it if it could. That whole system is designed for "cheap" not for "good". Forget the "40-20K" spec listed. That's bandwidth, not frequency response. I doubt you'd hear any bass notes below about 80 hz from that. And the drivers will be designed for max volume with minimum power, which sacrifices quality for quantity. You'd do much better to wait, save your money, and move up at least to the Z-5300e, which is much more substantial.

7. splitt3r

I will cosider it, but that is 2 months pay or 4 new Games :p that is a lot for a 14 year old to pay for a speaker system. my B-day is coming up in february I know my parents couldn't get me a $200 system but I might get birthday $ to go towards it, i have a lot of stuff to buy soon. 512mb RAM, quake 4 etc I just got a new computer, i love it :) it is a compaq SR1630NX with a 6600gt.

8. G.T.

Been there, done that, know the feeling. :)

BUT. No surround system under $100.00 is worth having. There are a couple of stereo systems in the $100 range that sound pretty good, but building 6 boxes, the drivers for them, and amps to push them doesn't allow enough money for GOOD components. What you get is crap, and you've already got that. Save and wait and eventually you'll have a NICE system that sounds good. Otherwise you're trading one crap system for another.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds