motherboard replacement with XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Docd, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Docd

Docd Private E-2

I have to replace my motherboard and cpu. I can't run sysprep because the PC will not boot. The motherboard I am replacing is three years old and I can't find an exect replacement, therefore I must upgrade. The last time I did this to a system running XP I had to reload the everything. Is there a way around having to do a complete reload?

2. padams

padams First Sergeant

Not really, but you can get another hdd, load xp to it and then plug your old hdd in as a slave drive and pull data off of it.

Can you tell me what is going on with your current mobo and cpu? I might be able to help fix it saving you some money!

3. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Yup you must load everything back up as any change in XP (hardware) causes it to make you register your copy of XP again(new hardware makes it think it is running on a new system)). It is painless if you can do it online --Less fun if you actually have to read all those numbers to a guy named bob in india.

4. Docd

Docd Private E-2

The power supply took out the CPU and motherboard. I replaced the P S and it's still dead. the CPU never heats up.

5. padams

padams First Sergeant

When you press the power button, does it do anything at all?

Do you see any burnt places on the mobo or cpu?

6. Docd

Docd Private E-2

NOTHING. I replaced a gigabyte board, intel chip set w/ a 1.7mhzCPU with a biostart mobo, VIA chip set w/ a 2.0mhz CPU. Went to the command prompt on first boot to delete a few files and it wanted to load drivers. Canceled out of everything and rebooted. in normal mode. The only thing I had to do was put in the mobo drivers cd and install the sata raid, VIA vga and audio driver. The old board was a socket 478 and the new board is a 745 socket.

7. padams

padams First Sergeant

Well never mind on the old board. It's time for an upgrade. So is your new stuff up and running?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds