Can my laptop handle Doom 3?

Discussion in 'Software' started by vagabond, Jun 15, 2008.

1. vagabond

vagabond Private E-2

I don't do much gaming on my computer, but I've always loved playing Doom since the early 90s. I haven't played it in many years, so I decided to try the free demo version on my new laptop. It's Toshiba Satellite with Vista home premium, dual-core T2310, 1 gb ram, and 1.46 GHz.

Doom runs a little too slow as is, so I'd like to know how much upgrading I would have to do. Do you think simply adding another gb ram would do it?

2. slopyjoemess

slopyjoemess Private E-2

well if you can give us your gpu specs as well (http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/) try this one to detect your gpu
    and with vista it is always a good thing to have 1.5gb of ram or up (2gb optimal)
    give me your gpu specs and for the Ram:yes
    hope that helped;)

also what detail do you play in High or ultra? unless you are play in a really high res then high looks no different from ultra at all
    turn shadows off as well for a less scary game and much better fps
    (DOOM3 is very scary:cry)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. vagabond

vagabond Private E-2

Hey, thanks for replying and the link. Here are my stats. I thought it would be easier to just do a screen shot.

[​IMG]

I don't guess I need ultra resolution, but yea Doom is very scary. It makes me want my mommy :eek:. But that's what I like about it. I like to play it late at night when I'm alone, so I'd probably want to keep the shadows on.

4. slopyjoemess

slopyjoemess Private E-2

hmm well u havent not really got a top notch card:(
    its not super fast since it an integrated Intel GPU:(
    Intel GPU's like to share with Ram so an RAM upgrade is still recommend
    check in your bios and you may be able to enable more RAM to be used since 8mb of vidram is very very low and you will struggle to get decent fps:cry
    also i have herd of being able to install 3rd party GPU on laptops but is can be very Risky and is not recommended
    try turning off spectacular and/or bump (this makes it look really ugly tho) dont enable AA.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

7. slopyjoemess

slopyjoemess Private E-2

wow yeah i forgot about sysreqlabs

8. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

nop it will not run anyfaster on those intel chips

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds