Symantec files won't delete (symlcnet.dll, symlcrst.dll & symlcsvc.exe)

Discussion in 'Software' started by bennos, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bennos

bennos Private First Class

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. bennos

Oops! My link is wrong, the one I've followed is the one TimW posted (2nd post), http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...nsf&view=docid

By using the Norton_Removal_Tool.exe I've managed to uninstalled Nortons. The issue is a folder with three left over files that won't delete. symlcnet.dll, symlcrst.dll & symlcsvc.exe.

4. TimW

You have tried the norton tool?
    You have gone to explorer and right clicked the folder and delete didn't happen?
    You have tried deleting the contents of the folders and then the folder?

Have you tried reinstalling norton and then uninstall?

5. bennos

Yes, yes and yes. Here is the message when I try to delete those files:

Cannot delete symlcnet: Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Cannot delete symlcrst: Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Cannot delete symlcsvc: Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

6. TimW

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Another, albeit less likely, resolution is to run a chkdsk /F. If a file is sitting on a damaged portion of the filesystem, it will not delete.

8. bennos

Cool, safe mode did it! Deleted in Safe Mode. Thanks TimW.

9. netweasel

netweasel Private E-2

I realize this suggestion comes a bit late, since bennos managed to get rid of the offending files, but another option might have been to download Delete Doctor, which is capable of erasing files, and folders, that Windows XP thinks are uneraseable.

Just a thought.

10. daveb

daveb Private E-2

here's the best fix, for anyone else who gets stuck on this one. I discovered it after trying several other things.

symlcsvc.exe is the Sym LC Service. It's part of Norton Internet Security. It should be removed by either uninstall or Norton Removal Tool, but that didn't happen on my machine. You can verify that it's running by looking in Task Manager. The clue is the last 3 letters of the file name -- svc.

If you stop this service, you can delete its file, along with the two dll's. You also should disable the service, so it won't try to start again when you re-boot.

services are changed by doing this (or something like it, depending on your op sys):
    Start/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

Highlight the Symantec Core LC service,
    then right click, and click on properties

In the General tab display,
    set Startup type to disabled, and
    under service status, click stop

after clicking OK, verify that both settings have changed.

You should now be able to delete those 3 files.

You can delete the service in the registry, but it's not necessary.

11. gl1942

gl1942 Private E-2

Daveb; This worked for me on 07-21-2008 so I could install Norton Internet Security 2008. Do I leave the file Symantec Core LC service Disabled? email me at glm@theworks.com. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds