Should I replace my motherboard or the Intel chip?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biker777, Jun 6, 2006.

1. biker777

biker777 Private E-2

Ok, my sister just dropped off her "emachine" computer. Said it started to burn and would not turn on. I cleaned it out and checked the power supply(bypass the wires to see if the fan works-it does). However, I noticed that the "Intel chip" had two burn holes in it and it was very hot. I did a visual check of the motherboard and did not see any burn patterns on the top of the board. My question is this... Can I just replace the Intel chip or would it be wise to replace the whole motherboard? Would that ruin the rams? Would I need to replace any thing else? Any ideas on these cheap emachines? Note: my sister is a student and is working 3 jobs to get by, so I am looking for the best alternative instead of buying a new computer.:confused:
    my email is bikermamma@iwon.com. or gypsyspiritconsult@yahoo.com.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

That's a tough one ....as you could be buying component after component trying to find/replace all the defective ones ....Have seen sales of towers with mobos and processors going for $90 ....just add your other good components ...check out deals (www.tigerdirect.com)

3. Salty25

Salty25 Private E-2

If you get a new mobo and processor can you use the XP that came with the system or would you have to buy a new key?

I could get this machine going for under $140 if that's the case.

4. biker777

biker777 Private E-2

Should I replace my motherboard

Greetings SaltyDog.
    well I am beyond the motherboard. either the hard drive is shot or the on/off switch is shorting out the motherboard. The computer has been sitting in the garage until I get some time to tinker with it again. In the meantime, my sister got herself a dell...now, she has to replace the battery because it causes fires.
    so that is as far as I got on the troubleshooting.;)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds