HELP Anyone?? Re: Print File Sharing not working when connected wireless to network.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jemar707, Apr 24, 2006.

1. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

Please forgive me if I am in the wrong area for this post. I have read mutliple posts and can't seem to find something that addresses my problem.

Running XP on both PC and laptop. I have 3 devices for which I might have something setup incorreclty. Highspeed cable is conn. to my modem, which is connected to my Vonage modem for phone, then connecected to my linkys wireless router. Everything works perfected when I have my laptop connected directly to the network. Print and file sharing is fine. However, when I disconnect from the network and use my wireless connection, I can use internet, but have no access to file and print sharing... when I try to access any of my network places or try to print I get the error "\\... is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the network administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

I am new to this home networking stuff, so I am getting confused reading all the posts, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate.

Also, I forgot to mention -- when I first setup the network, the file and print sharing worked when I was using wireless from my laptop. It was about a week or two later I started having problems; maybe just a setting somewhere that got changed??

2. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

Re: HELP Anyone?? Re: Print File Sharing not working when connected wireless to netwo

maybie check and make sure that printer sharing is turned on, in your control panel. It happened to a friend and it worked then it didnt. also did you do the network setup on both PC's? then printer and file shareing?
    hope that helps a bit
    good luck!

3. Jazagod

Re: HELP Anyone?? Re: Print File Sharing not working when connected wireless to netwo

oh, hehe, Is file and print sharing in your network properties?
    Right click My network > select properties
    If you dont see it, click add , then file print share
    Its a good idea to have a firewall too when sharing;)
    hope I didnt miss anything!

4. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

Confirmed that File and Print Sharing is setup...it all works properly when I am directly connected with cable to the network. My problem is that I can't connect wirelessly to print and file sharing; however, I can use the internet wirelessly.

5. Jazagod

In your control panel > printer, do you see only one printer? evien if you do, try setting it as your default on both PC's, if not already. Right click on correct printer Icon and set as default(just incase you don't know) , then you will see the hand for sharing. you may see that already...I am just stabbing at guesses

6. Jazagod

also in your network properties, you should have two network icons. One for your lan, and one for your wireless. Try going into your wireless and see if file and printer sharing is turned on there. possibly it is only turned on for your laptops built in adapter. Your internet will work on both, but if file and print sharing isn't enabled on both it may be the prob.

7. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

i see both shared printers from my laptop, one of which is set to default. Both LAN and wireless network connections have File and Print
    Sharing installed and selected. One thing I noticed is that a service on my LAN, Intel Wireless Connection Agents, is deselected. Not sure what that is, or whether is should be selected. Just to troubleshoot, I tried enabling it, but when I apply change, it errors and disenables it again.

Thank you so much for you suggestions though; still stuck and can't print or file share from my couch. :*(

8. Jazagod

If you are using your wireless router, that is why you get the error, only one is active at a time. May I suggest Uninstalling the printers drivers on your laptop, and reinstalling with your printers CD rom. Possibly that may help(hopefully you already installed the drivers) then make sure all settings said before are happening. It may not hurt to try doing the network setup again, even though you have internet on your wireless as well. that may just help, as you said it worked before. I hope you get it working..Sometimes starting over from square one helps
    I wish I could add more right now:rolleyes:

9. Jazagod

one last thing, does your main computer have allow print and file share turned on? Sorry if i repeated myself. just double checking.

10. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

Wooooo Hooooo!!! I got it working. Not sure how though. LOL. My desktop and laptop strangely had different workgroup names. ?? Fixed that, then deleted the printers from laptop and reinstalled. Still no luck. So instead of adding a 'networked printer'. I browsed through network and they auto added themselves, I think... now its all working again, and the file sharing which i didn't mess with at all.

i love computers.

THANK YOU so so much for walking me through double-checking all my settings.

Best regards,

Jessica

11. Jazagod

Good to hear, Have fun on the couch;)
    Cheers!

12. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

OMG! I am really frustrated. After happily file and print sharing wireless from my couch for 20 minutes or so - I lost the connection again. Still internet, no print or file sharing though again!!! Nothing has changed. The error message I receive is "

\\...is not accessible. You might now have permission to use this network resource. Contact the network administrator....The network path was not found."

HELPPPPPPPPP!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds