Backing up...again here we go

Discussion in 'Software' started by javyn winterkhaos, Apr 28, 2004.

1. javyn winterkhaos

javyn winterkhaos Private E-2

A while back I was in a discussion here about the best way to backup your system (OS, Data, Sys Files, everything,). I recommended Norton Ghost but several of you guys mentioned an application called "Acronis" saying it was better because you don't need to boot off of Ghost, hence you don't need floppies to restore your disk image.

I just got a laptop computer, and I'm already tinkering with it. A crash is a short ways away I can feel it. If I make a backup image of my HD to a DVD (it will fit at this point) with Acronis, and my entire system craters...how will I go about restoring the image?

I mean, if my system went down, I wouldn't be able to read off the DVD to restore it would I? No drivers! No floppy drive to get the drivers on there!

Please give me some opinions guys hehee. Appreciated!

Javyn

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Acronis will prompt you to create a boot CD after you install the program. You will boot from that CD and insert the CD with the image file on it when the time comes. I assume it can read from the drive, I have not tried it, you can test it ahead of time or maybe someone here knows.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes exactly right MA, I havnt re-installed a image from a DVD as I dont as yet have a dvd burner ( something I need to get soon tho ) but I do use one of 3 20-40g HDs I have as spares to create images on.

so to recover and install an image you need as MA said to create a boot CD ( normal CDR or CDRW will do ) at time of install of Acronis or goto it now and create a rescue CD .... this CD has all the tools to allow recovery of the image.

Tools > Create Bootable Rescue Media and follow prompts

so if your PC or OS goes down you set in bios to boot from CDRom > insert the CD and up pops a menu which will let you recover the image file from your media of choice *I just plug a HD into a spare IDE cable and recover the image off that.. takes about 15mins to recover using the HD.. will be slightly longer using CD/DVD tho*

Great app I must say one of the only ones I tried that actually did image a Raid0 array.

4. javyn winterkhaos

javyn winterkhaos Private E-2

Thanks guys, upon installing Acronis it prompted me to create this "disk". Since I thought it meant flopppy disk, i opted out of that option. I will go create this bootable cdrom right now!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds