Foiled by Windows Backup Utility

Discussion in 'Software' started by azigma, Dec 24, 2007.

1. azigma

azigma Private E-2

I have Winxp Pro and I recently started getting many blue screen errors, so prior to using the repair console, I used Windows backup utility to save my documents and settings.
    When I ran the repair I got the message "problems are beyond repair" or words to that effect, so bought another hard drive and installed it.
    I then used the windows restore wizard and clicked "restore files and settings" which opened a window with an entry in the left pane called 'file' and in the right pane one that said' no entries found'
    After I recovered from my heart attack (sort of joking) I went to my backup drive and verified they were there and saw "Backup_Dec_2207, Windows Backup File, 28,059,042 kb"
    The bkf extension was not present so I tried adding that but still nothing.
    I then went to the web and downloaded a free (Supposed) utility called "Restore my Backup" and it ran for 16 hours straight then displayed all my folders when finished.
    Happy days until I found out that the supposed free program wanted $150.00 to finish the process!
    Now this is an older computer and I didn't mind ponying up $60.00 for a replacement hard drive, but with the price of computers these days another $150.00 is just not worth it.
    So can you think of any solution to restoring the documents that are certainly there?
    All help gratefully appreciated.
    Alex

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds