PC takes a LONG time to shut down

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Oct 13, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

WinXP Pro SP3 - I have run all the usual stuff: malware scans are clean, removed all junk files (CCleaner was run on HD and registry), defragged/optimized hard drive, checked start up programs and services and everything seems to be OK. The PC boots to the desktop in a normal amount of time, and the beginning of the shut down is more-or-less normal too, but once it gets to the section of shutting down with the blue backgrounds and it says "Logging Off..." and "Shutting Down...." it stays there for about 5-7 minutes. I'm running a hard drive diagnostic right now, but I doubt that's the problem...

:confused

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Only thing I can think of is something is still running that the system is trying to shut down and then save your settings.

3. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

what about terminating non responsive programs? i know i had a tune up utility that had options to check to be rid of non responsive programs, ASO (Advance System Optimizer by Systweak)

unless there are some other ways to get the same thing done through reg editing? ; )

edit:
    google search keywords: "registry edit non responsive program"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555619
    there was a youtube video too...

4. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

above is for xp... took to long to edit...

for win7 and vista... http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/kill-non-responsive-programs-in-windows-7-and-vista/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds