Boot Time: TAKES TO LONG!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sh@dow, May 6, 2005.

1. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

My pc is not old.....well in a sense that it should affect my boot time, right. Well it now takes approximately 3 min to get to the login screen, in fact after that point its about 10 secs before I am able to browse. So really its that little blue "pill" going left to right under the word Windows that takes forever.

This is my set up:
    windows xp
    P4 2.4
    768 DDR
    20 gig (recently ghosted from an old 8.4) it booted quick after then slowed down to 3 min
    120 gig (recently defragged)
    gf 4400
    Surecome Network (Internet) Broadband Cable
    SMC USB Network (Lan with my other pc) Slow start with it on or off
    Pioneer 16x DVD Rom
    Sony 8x12x32 CD-RW
    ASUS P4B533

...dont think any other hardware would affect booting.

I believe this pc should be able to boot in 30 secs with these specs. Any ideas??

2. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Please refrain from using profanity..especially in thread titles...this forum is family oriented so we have members of all ages. Thank you:)

3. offmdan

offmdan Guest

You may want to try trial version of TweakXP.
    Don't do any registry tweaks or anything else with it except to "auto-tune" at both levels. Then reboot.

4. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

soz

hmm tried that and had no luck

its just weird cuz I see me mates pc boot up 100 times quicker and they have more shet on their pc :confused:

5. pohl

pohl Private E-2

go to start.....run.....type msconfig then enter

you will get a popup called system configuration utility

click on tab that says startup.... in lower right corner click disable all, then apply...

this will disable almost everything from startup....it makes startup faster but programs will start a little slower

6. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

what about disabling services?

7. offmdan

offmdan Guest

I would't be too quick on disabling everything on start-up...

Davis McCarn has given me a hand in the past.
    If you live in the States, you make even want to call him up. He's a gentleman! http://www.computer-help.net/

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Have you tried disconneting your broaddand to see how that effects your boot time.

9. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

Shadow....

Run msconfig and systematically disable each item in the startup section one by one and rebooting each time one is disabled. I know this is a lot of work, but you will probably learn what your problem is.

10. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

Actually... I should have stated that after each reboot, if the problem isn't fixed, then re-enable the item you just disabled and then move down to the next one. Hope this helps.

11. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

yeah dont think i disable anything in startup as they are really only basic progs load, but i will disable one at a time and see how it boots up.

i might give disconnecting the bband altho it doesnt explain why it used to be fine and now not so when I had the modem for years now.

the weird thing really is that my pc is packed with crap. I only use it to browse my few forums and play, cuz i just dont have the time the browse.

anways, see what happens

12. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

13. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

well guess what it turned out to be a virus(es)....some botbot bs! Funny thing is that only one scanner found it out of about 6....

now my boot time is a much more acceptable 35 secs

We live and learn!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds