New Motherboard, potential problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Locian, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Locian

Locian Private E-2

I'm getting a new motherboard as well as a new case tuesday, if all goes well.
    So basically I'm taking all the sweet stuff in my current rig and placing it on the new motherboard, as well as a new CPU, which I have full confidence in my skills to be able to do.

My current specs are:

Motherboard: Dell OYC523
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0 ghz
    Hard Drives: 1) Hitachi 75 gb (operating system)
    2) unknown 500 gb (programs/games/etc)
    Memory: 4x 512 mb PC2-4300 266 mhz DDRII
    PSU: Zalman ZM500-HP ATX2 500 Watt
    GPU: XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

My new specs will be:

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q SE
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 ghz
    Hard Drives: 1) Hitachi 75 gb ATA (operating system)
    2) unknown 500 gb ATA (programs/games/etc)
    Memory: 4x 512 mb PC2-4300 266 mhz DDRII
    PSU: Zalman ZM500-HP ATX2 500 Watt
    GPU: XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

So my question is really, are there anything i should be prepared for, like downloading BIOS or the like, since I dont have a backup machine, like a laptop or anything, so if the machine does not fire up at the first go, I have to reassemple the old rig in order to have a working machine. And I have never installed a new motherboard before, but I have read a lot of guides.

I have a large amount of hardware installation, since my current rig is a Dell Dimension 9150, and the only original hardware left is the CPU, the CD/DVD drive, the motherboard and the RAM, i have replaced everything else, but the motherboard is restricting any CPU updates to singlecore.

If there are any hardware that's not compatible please let me know, since its not too late for me to send it back to the dealer.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Looks good. Would be a little easier if you posted links, some of us are lazy. :-D The only possible problem I see is the video card. Is the card PCIE? If so, you should be in good shape.

Don't forget to get some good thermal goop. AS5 or whatever your flavor. And those stock Intel 775 heatsinks. I hate them. If you have the $, look for a bolt on aftermarket heatsink. Dang plastic push pin heatsink mounts are tools of the devil I tell 'ya! :-D ThermalRight makes some nice heatsinks, there are other good ones out there.

Watch out for static electricity, and don't let the 'magic smoke' out, and you should be ok.

Oh yeah, welcome to MajorGeeks! ;)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  3. Felixmagician

Felixmagician Private E-2

Should be ok, everything looks fine to me.
    About updating BIOS, I think it's a good thing to do but of course you don't have to do it. It's a good idea to have a laptop or another PC that you use to download drivers etc. if your new computer doesnt have access to internet right away.

Oh, the RAM looks like a bottleneck with only 533MHz. E8400 has a 1333MHz FSB, so it can take advantage of 667MHz RAM (or PC2-5300): You might want to buy new RAM since it costs like $10 per GB these days :)

4. Locian

Locian Private E-2

Thanks for the fast replies, I do not have an extensive amount of money at the moment, it is christmas season, so new RAM, is kinda impossible right now, but as long as it works when it fires up, then I'm happy, will of course upgrade it when the money comes back.
    I have a pretty big tube of artic silver 5 lying next to as we speak, so that's not a problem, but I assume the stock Intel CPU cooler is enough, as long as I dont overclock it?

Oh and I have internet acces to the new machinery when it fires up, and my graphic card is a PCIe, as far as I know...

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yes, the stock cooling should be just fine if you don't overclock. I just hate how they made the mounting system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds