Windows XP Logon and Logoff Sounds Not Playing

Discussion in 'Software' started by DiZzyBonne, Nov 13, 2011.

1. DiZzyBonne

DiZzyBonne Private E-2

Ok, I have a strange problem. I've been Googling around, and a few people had this same problem, but there have been no fixes. Whenever I used hit my Windows Key+L shortcut (short for Switch User) a sound would play, Windows XP Logoff Sound.wav, and when I would log back into the account, it would play Windows XP Logon Sound.wav. However, as of today, they don't play.

There is a catch, however. If after I turn on my computer and log into my account, I log out of the account completely, and log back in, the aforementioned sounds begin to work via the shortcut again.

I have checked Sounds and Audio Devices in control panel and verified that the sounds are enabled, and I downloaded TweakUI to verify that "Beep on errors" is checked, and I just don't know what else the problem could be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Drivers. When is the last time you updated motherboard and sound drivers? This is always step 1 before we go further.

If you don't know your hardware let us know the motherboard or computer manufacturer.

3. DiZzyBonne

DiZzyBonne Private E-2

I just reformatted my computer in October and I'm using the latest Realtek drivers. I too thought it might have been drivers, so I connected my USB sound card and I still have the same problem. Once again, all other sounds work, it's just those two I mentioned that don't. And even then, they work if I log out of my account and log back in. It's a little weird that they don't work on the first boot, but logging out and in they do.

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Probably will not help but check the following reg keys. What is listed under each?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\WindowsLogoff

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\WindowsLogon

5. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

6. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Used a third party disk defragmenter at one time that caused a similar problem, never did find out why. I don't enable system sounds, haven't for some time, no desktop wallpaper, and no icons on the desktop either. The recycle bin is there when I click where start used to be, and can enable it through folder options.

7. DiZzyBonne

DiZzyBonne Private E-2

The folders themselves, nothing, just like the rest. What's under them however, is the proper directory for .wav files.

I'm thinking this might have been my problem as well, I recently defragged my boot sector using Defraggler.

I noticed that if I wait a minute after turning on my computer but before putting in my password, it works. Odd...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds