Problem with Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by 23Red, Feb 20, 2008.

1. 23Red

23Red Private E-2

Hi there, I have the same problem with my Compaq laptop N800v. WinXP Pro

I lost sound in my left speaker, and then a week later the other speaker too.

Odly at around the same time my internal microphone got stuck constantly on and the sound of my typing came out of the speakers!! I'd also get a loud feedback whine when I close the lid.

Muting the volume and changing the settings didn't change anything and I've had to plug headphones in to stop the annoying feedback (and amplified typing) coming through the main speakers - which therefore seem to work.

I tried to mute/turn off the microphone using the SoundMAX control panel, but the mute checkbox did nothing and the volume slider raced back to the top when I moved it down. It would be hilarious if it wasn't my computer!

So I re-downloaded the audio drivers from the HP/Compaq website and am now at the same stage as other members in this thread.

I have no volume icon in the system tray, and SoundMAX control panel has all the settings greyed out.

Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver has a yellow exclaimation icon and driver properties state: A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Please help, the feedback is so loud and annoying it rivals my girlfriend.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@ 23Red

Is the Windows Audio service running?
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.

If that doesn't help, you should start your own thread.

@ mily15

If you have a retail PC, post the manufacturer name and model #
    Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware-related Pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.
    You should also start your own thread when you post your attachment

3. 23Red

23Red Private E-2

Thanks Musksnipe,

since I last posted I have reinstalled windows (booting from CD and chosing to repair existing version) which gave me back my speaker icon in the system tray and restored some options in SoundMax.

However no matter what settings I alter nothing changes. No sound but the microphone & feedback.

Ihave a theory that If I strip the laptop down I may be able to disable the internal microphone by unplugging it from the motherboard. Or is that just dumb?

To answer your Q: Windows Audio Status: Started; Startup type: Automatic

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@ 23Red
    If you repaired your OS and still are having problems it sounds more like a hardware issue, but check this:
    Make sure the correct input and output devices are selected.
    Feedback could be coming from mic too close to speakers.

5. 23Red

23Red Private E-2

Thanks again Musksnipe,

Unfortunately for me the mic and speaker positions are fixed (laptop), so I can't move mic away from the speakers unless I remove the screen.

I just want to double check I haven't missed ANYTHING, where do I check I'm using the correct input/output devices?

I checked in Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices and that checks I'm using the correct software (Soudmax in this case) rather than hardware.

Thanks again

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm not sure you will have all these options, because the machine I'm looking at uses SoundBlaster and not SoundMax.

First, double click the volume control. You may want to lower the Line-in input.
    Now, click Options>Properties.
    Next click Advanced, Digital should not be checked.

Goto Control Panel>Sound and Audio:
    In the Volume tab, click Advanced. Choose your speaker setup. Then click the Performance tab. (Still in Volume) Where is Hardware acceleration set? If it is full, back it down a little.

Click the Audio tab, Then click Volume, under Sound Recording. Click advanced under the Mic volume setting and uncheck the +20db box, if it is checked.

7. 23Red

23Red Private E-2

hmm,

I have most of the options your refer to, but not all.

I can lower the line-in input, but have no option to check/uncheck digital input in advanced.

I can back off the hardware acceleration in volume>speaker settings>advanced>performance. (slightly different route to soundblaster).

I can click the Audio tab, Then click Volume, under Sound Recording, but there is no advanced tab under the mic volume setting.

Am beginning to wonder if I had a power surge or something that may have crippled my hardware.

Thanks or your continued support Musksnipe,

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I should have mentioned the input and output devices can also be checked here:
    Goto Control Panel>Sound and Audio: Click the Audio tab

After checking all those things and if you don't notice any difference, we are back to a probable hardware failure.
    If you do take it in to a dealer, the smaller one-man shops will probably give you the best service for your money.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds