My Laptop Got Wet, Can I Still Get It To Work? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CarolineNsd, Apr 11, 2008.

1. CarolineNsd

CarolineNsd Private E-2

I'm new to this site, but am hoping that perhaps someone can help me :cry I have an HP Pavillion dv2000 that was in perfect working condition until, I know this is disgusting...my dog threw up all over the keyboard. I quickly flipped it over to get as much off as possible, took the battery out, and wiped as much of it off with a towel as I could. I popped off a few of the keys that were really bad and cleaned underneath them. I let it dry out for about a day and now I'm hoping it will work again?? I turned it on and the little blue lights for everything come on and I can hear the fan working, but nothing else seems to be working. The screen remains black and when I try to turn it back off it won't shut off, so I have to pull the battery out again. Does anyone know if the computer is ruined or if there is someway I can fix it? If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it, there was some very important stuff stored in the laptop. Thank you

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

NOTE: remove the battery and remove the power cord before working on the notebook.
    First, find the manual and see how to remove the hard drive. Get an external enclosure, put the hd in and grab the files you need just in case the laptop doesn't come back. External enclosures connect to another computer via a USB port. The other computer shoud be able to see the files. Since it is a notebook hd, it is the smaller size so you'd look for a 2.5" enclosure.
    Next, remove the keyboard. There are usually clips and the keyboard will flip forward. Be careful because there is cabling and you don't want to remove it. Get distilled (not tap nor bottled) water and use cotton swabs or even better foam swabs dipped in the water to clean the keyboard. Don't flip the keyboard back until you are sure everything is dry. Sometimes there is a heat shield between the keyboard and the other parts of the computer. Check this to be sure that it too is clean. If you see spots of dried material, use the swabs and distilled water to clean the heat shield. After the keyboard is back in place, inspect the openings. If you think anything got into any of the ports, clean them out and allow them to dry.

Last, put the battery in - be sure it is tight, put the hard drive back in, put the power cord in and turn it on.

3. CarolineNsd

CarolineNsd Private E-2

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for your response to my posting. I appreciate the detail & time you put into it.

As of now, HAPPILY the problem has been fixed. Turns out it was just that the power switch had been made to stick with the yuck that got all over it. I loosened it by using a small flathead screwdriver.

I was wondering, however, if you think that the acid from the throw up is going to eventually cause damage to the internal parts of the laptop (with humidity and stuff). Do you think I should still try to clean it or might I cause more harm than good?

I think that I got most of it off when it happened and the plate beneath the keyboard appears to have likely kept any of it from entering into where all the important parts are...but I still wanted your opinion on what I should do?

THANKS AGAIN!! :)

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If it were my computer, I'd still spend a bit more time with at least cotton swabs and distilled water to clean a it more. I don't think that can hurt (but be sure to give it time to dry before you turn it on) and you might be removing some traces that could cause problems in the future.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds