New here - Key Logger Removal need your help

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by texmex, Sep 12, 2008.

1. texmex

texmex Private E-2

Hi am new to the forum, so please don't slam me if I didn't post this to the right place. I recently bought a new laptop and happened to loose it for a while (long story, but was able to recover it). The people who had the laptop are known for their 'computer skills'. While the laptop appears to be untouched (all data is in there), am very worried that a key logger might have been installed. On googling a few websites it seems that there are different kinds of key logging software which can be installed including ones in the root. Need your advice on what can I do on my own (without going to best buy etc) to ensure the machine is safe to use

Thanks

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to MGs. :)

My only suggestion would be that you will need to perform all steps in the READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide and post the requested logs (How to attach logs) in a New thread in the Malware Removal Forum.

I have to tell you though, that if it was installed on your computer by someone who had possession of the machine, it could be very hard to remove/detect as it's not technically malware.

You can perform the scans and post your logs and the malware experts may be able to see something. You may end up having to do a clean install of windows to insure there is nothing on it.

3. texmex

texmex Private E-2

Thank you for the prompt response. I will read the link. Given the laptop is new, and I have the recovery CD shall I do a reinstall to be a 100% sure ? Your advice is much appreciated

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

If you don't have a ton of files that would have to be saved and wouldn't be heartbroken about having to reinstall software, etc., I would probably suggest you do that. Generally, I wouldn't recommend that, as the removal procedures are very good as are the experts here, but since your computer is new and I have seen them tell people that keylogging software is difficult to detect depending on what kind it is, it may be in your best interest.

To be sure, I would suggest posting your question in a New Thread in the Malware Forum I linked you to in the above post. It may take a little while to get a response, but someone will answer you. Just be very specific that if it was installed, the person had possession of your machine to do it.

5. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

My advice is the same as Laura's. She is a smart women. Listen to her. She has given me a lot of good advice.

6. texmex

texmex Private E-2

Thanks ! You guys are great. I posted a new thread in the Malware forum.

7. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

welcome to the forums :wave

8. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

9. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

My computer crashed on me three times in a short while, all three times I ran the reinstall CD thinking all would be gone but oh well.
    It was not, still had files (documents, pictures etc) were still there. Not in the usual place but there none the less. I even ran the CD using different way it asked for, still there.

PS - welcome and good luck

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  10. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Yes I forgot, Welcome to MG :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds