ISP question

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by DMTREX, Sep 17, 2008.

1. DMTREX

DMTREX Private E-2

I have a question, 4 days ago my internet provider suspended my service due to a movie that was downloaded. When contacted (QWEST) they said that I had violated the copyright law and the next time I would be reported. So I asked them were they monitorning my connection and observing what I was surfing for and they refused to answer. Is there a way to tell and is there a way to prevent this from happening again.:

2. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

Hope this helps.

http://www.qwest.com/legal/

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome.

ISP's always have a way to monitor internet traffic. And as wildwolf has posted, it is always in any TOS for any service you use. Unfortunately, people rarely read them before clicking 'I agree'.

It's always safe to assume that nothing you do online is private.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

No way to tell that any ISP is monitoring you as they do it at source via server logs, prevention, well if you judge the movie or any download could be subject to copyright then be very careful, especially if you are downloading via P2P as many ISPs have been caught up in copyright legal issues and now monitor the ports used by P2P applications.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds