Need barebones FS Utilities Boot Disc

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mada_Milty, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Here's the SitRep:

I have a WinXP Virtual Machine that is refusing to boot since a power outage last night, giving a 'disk read error'.

Normally, I would just boot from the XP install disc, and go into recovery mode. This time, though, any boot CD that requires the user 'Press any key to boot from CD....' just hangs the VM. The XP install CD hung the VM, and another one, RC.iso did too. Memtest86+, on the other hand, booted just fine. (it has never required the key press to boot.

So, now, I am looking for a simple boot disc/iso that I can use to boot right into a command line, or pre-boot enviro to run some file system utilities such as CHKDSK, and/or fixboot.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Milty.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    Not sure if this will help but in the I386 folder of RC.iso, remove BOOTFIX.BIN with an iso manager like poweriso. This will remove the "press a key to boot from CD" message.

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

No, that's an awesome tip! Thank you kindly! Will update the thread with my results.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmmm... on first attempt, I have borked the ISO doing this, and it won't boot. I'mma try again with another ISO editor.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds