Seagate/Samsung Model Number Suffixes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arcueil_1, Mar 21, 2015.

1. arcueil_1

arcueil_1 Private E-2

Hello,

I need to replace my laptop drive. The model number is ST1000lM024 HN-M101MBB. This model is easy to find online and at stores. My drive has the suffix LCP (i.e. ST1000lM024 HN-M101MBB/LCP). The drives that I've located have various suffixes appended to the model number (e.g. AV2, AVN, EX2). I haven't found any with LCP.

Question: What exactly do these suffixes indicate? Are there differences between these drives?

Thanks for helping me out!

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Your particular model is for laptop computers. One or more of the other suffixes may not be suitable for laptop computer use (they overheat and fail in the confined space with limited cooling).

I found 3 drives with your exact model number and suffix on ebay starting at $125US.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. arcueil_1

arcueil_1 Private E-2

@ mdonah - ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (AV2, AVN, EX2 and LCP) are all for laptops. If the model is (presumably) the same in all cases, then I wonder what's the suffix about? Could it be a kind of "mint mark"? For example, some US coins have no marking next to the date, but others do (e.g. "D" for Denver mint, "P" for Philadelphia mint). Could these suffixes refer to the factory where the drive was made? Or do they specify an actual sub-model (i.e. the drives are actually *not* the same)?

@ plodr - The drives that you found are 750MB, whereas the one that I need is 1TB (the same capacity as the one that I'm going to replace).

@ both - I know that I can replace the drive with anything that is compatible -- different capacity or brand -- but I'd rather get an exact match. That's why I want to know if those suffixes mean something important. Regarding eBay, the ones that mdonah found are exact matches, but they're priced at roughly double the cost of the drives with the other suffixes, which I find rather strange.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

In your first post you said
    I attempted to show you that LCP drives exist. That's all. No mention was made of size requirements so I did no searching for a particular spin rate or size.

I also attempted to find out the significance of LCP but was not successful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds