Lenovo laptop not allowing clean install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the mekanic, Mar 21, 2015.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Refurbishing a Lenovo laptop with a Digital River W7 x64 image. Will load Windows, but for some reason it will not allow the box to be checked for the license agreement.

I'm thinking maybe there is a flag in the BIOS, and it might only accept Lenovo recovery media.

This is the first time I've ever run into this issue. Anyone seen this, or have a viable solution? This laptop is supposed to given to someone who needs it, but an OS is kind of important...

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Probably missing proper drivers for trackpad during install. Lenovo's own image would have accounted for that.

Hook a mouse to it.

3. the mekanic

It would be nice if it were that easy, but the mouse works, just won't click the box.

Is it possible the touchpad would work, but not the buttons? I'd find it unlikely, but...

4. the mekanic

Follow up:

It doesn't freeze until you try to click the box. Then it basically does nothing.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If its freezing, then there is something else wrong and its nothing to do with the EULA.

Does the Lenovo image even install?

6. the mekanic

There is no Lenovo image. New hard drive. It loads windows, and does everything normally until you try to check the agreement. We've tried more than one HDD, MemTest checks out, and it even boots into a Kaspersky rescue disk. It just won't install windows.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What kinf of media? If its a DVD, try it from a thumb drive.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I had a desktop that locked up (Windows fully loaded) until you moved the mouse or tried to use the keyboard.
    It had something to do with CAP lock set (can't remember if it was on or off) in the BIOS.
    Boot into the BIOS and change whatever CAP lock is set to and try again. It won't be hard to set it back if it doesn't fix the situation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds