Chkdsk question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hradford5, Mar 23, 2015.

1. hradford5

hradford5 Private E-2

I am getting an error from chkdsk saying that there is not enough space to replace bad clusters.

My OS is Win7 64bit & it's my C drive I'm trying to save.

I know my HDD is failing & I'm trying to clone it (or failing that, to create an image), so I don't lose everything (I have my data backed up, but I'm hoping to be able to clone the disk & just swap the drives).

My question is, if I shrink the volume of the C drive, will that create more space so that chkdsk can replace the clusters?

I'm not clear on how the reserved clusters are allocated.

2. hradford5

hradford5 Private E-2

I have almost 800GB free on the 1TB drive. Are the reserve cluters actually located on the C partition?

3. hradford5

hradford5 Private E-2

As you can see I have 80% of the partition free. How would enlarging the partition help? Will that give more room for NTFS to create reserved clusters?

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

How many partitions are there on the hard disc?

5. hradford5

hradford5 Private E-2

Three, one is a 32GB FAT partition, one is the Dell Recovery partition & the "C" is 906GB.

Zeke

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

There's clearly enough free space on partition C. All I can think of is the hard disc is so bad chkdsk can't find enough 'healthy' space to complete the process, even though I find that hard to believe.
    You said you know the HDD is failing. Did you check it with a program?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds