hp dv2000 hardware issue need help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sradwxi, Oct 23, 2008.

1. sradwxi

sradwxi Private First Class

hi people
    i would appreciate it if somebody could help me try to work this one out
    i have a hp dv2036ea which wont start up 99% of the time
    its going right now but it took me about 30 attempts pressing the power button to get it running
    when i press the power button, the blue lights come on, the mousepad lights illuminate and the power lights illuminate
    the screen stays dead,
    the usb optical mouse doesnt light up
    the fan runs, the dvd drive makes a little noise
    every now and then i will press the power button and it will start up fine
    maybe once every 30 attempts it will start
    the laptop has just been reformatted because i thought i had a driver fault which i couldnt figure out
    i restarted and pressed (f11) and used the original backup file
    the history of the laptop
    ive always had a few software probs, windows media player 11 wouldnt work and microsoft office 2007 was having problems
    both of these have been mentioned on here before but to no avail.
    i went back to wmp10 and deleted office in the hope that was causing the non start problem
    recently ive had wireless card dropping the signal
    and not finding the router
    if i plug it in it will be fine
    reformatting the laptop didnt sort this problem as its happened once since the reformat
    the laptop is now clear of any software faults as far as im aware
    its a fresh install, the only things ive added are windows updates, windows live messenger, ccleaner
    please help, im going away next week and really need the laptop for my trip
    thanx carl
    p.s. there is no blue screen error

2. sradwxi

anybody there?

3. firefoxumana

firefoxumana Private E-2

HP has an extended warranty service for these laptops.

Go to the following website from HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement, Read the content of the warranty and see if you p/n match, if it does call HP at1-866-671-7362, like I did.

I went to that Hp website that was listed above and there it was my computer was on the list of models that were under recall.

I have the same boot problem with my DV2415NR which is in the dv2000 series. I spoke with an online representative that said this series qualifies for what HP is calling a One Time Service Enhancement. Basically, they know about the problem, but this is their way of dealing with it, but not admitting to it. After I called HP, and they send me a prepaid package from FedEx within 3 days, in which I sent my laptop to them but I haven not received my laptop yet, I just hope they will fix it.

4. sradwxi

hi firefox
    yeah
    i turned my laptop on around the time i posted this topic and it found an update with the hp update program
    this sent mne to that link
    but
    as luck would have had it, my laptop was one of the ones which did not have the motherboard (p/n) in the list
    however, the motherboard (p/n) on my laptop was conveniently listed under the compaq presario v3000
    which in my mind means that they have identified a fault and chose the least number of machines possible to offer the limited warranty to
    i had a dv2036 with the p/n re269ea
    nice trickery by hp/compaq
    so, i spent the next 2 weeks sending email after email to hp support, 2 or 3 a day, arguing the fact that if my pn had been in a compaq which is the same computer badged up by hp, i would have been covered, or if i had the dv2000 with one pn digit different i would have been covered
    finally i got round to getting a support number from them and gave them a ring, they seen that i should have been covered and they arranged to pick up the laptop and repair it
    now its all done, back in my posession, its still running hot but it does seem a little bit cooler
    beforehand i couldnt leave it on my lap because of the ammount of heat generated, rendering it useless
    i have burn marks on my thigh which have been there since august 2007 when i bought the laptop
    does, or did, yours run hot?
    i have a theory, the faulty motherboard creates excess heat, which makes the fan run full power permanantly, causing even more heat, which in turn puts extra load on the battery
    my battery died about 7 or 8 months ago, ive been running it on a dead battery ever since
    reluctance to buy a battery for a laptop which has never been suitable for the intended purpose is the reason why it was never changed
    but yeah, its working now, and i may even consider buying a battery for it
    or if i can prove my theory, then in fairness, the battery could also be covered under the same warranty as the motherboard as its a related fault
    right?
    have you had any probs with your fan, excess heat, battery, charger, blue screen due to graphics
    i had a blue screen a while back where i lost everything off the laptop, years and years worth of valuable pictures and documents
    thanx for the reply
    carl

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds