Realtek AC97 Problem -No sound on XP after installing Pro .. went back to XP Home now

Discussion in 'Software' started by nebraskarob, Aug 12, 2004.

1. nebraskarob

nebraskarob Private E-2

Hello ... ok . my problem is this.. I am fairly sure that my USB's are not working as well .. as my sound is no longer working. I am not sure if I ever had the USBs working but I did once have my sound.

I have a laptop Toshiba A65. I had originally XP home on it .. everything was fine.. upgraded to XP Pro from 2002 that I had laying around .. put that on .. updated all the Windows updates (as XP Pro was older and needed a lot of Windows updates) and such . .and then ... no longer had sound and when plugged in my web cam that did not work (was not recognized that I plugged it in). So ... I played around.. updated drivers for Realtek AC Audio 97 and such ... deleted and then added it from Control Panel .. .System .. .Hardware ... to no avail. Still no sound (at this point forgot about the USB working as was more concerned about sound).

So. ... went back ... installed the original disk to reformat hd back to out of the box specs, figured forget XP Pro .. I will stick with XP Home .. and .. lo and behold .. no sound anymore. Went again to the Realtek page, downloaded the drivers and such.. but still no sound. Went again to Control Panel .. System .. Hardware and deleted Realtek Audio 97... rebooted and no sound.

Now I am unsure as to what to do. Don't care about installing my older XP Pro .. am more then happy with my XP Home on the original CD .. but can't get sound. What can I do?

Lastly.. read on another thread that it was the driver .. and something regarding the Motherboard Chipset. I am not sure what motherboard I have on here .. nor sure how to check to let anyone know.

THe only reason I mentioned the USB not working was due to the post I have pasted below. THanks so much for any help.

Roberto

Re: No Sound in Windows Xp Pro!(Realtek AC '97)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldnt find your motherboard on MSI's site with the supplied model numbedr... but for your cpu that you have listed, do you know if your motherboard has a VIA chipset or nForce chipest?

I'm banking on VIA, if it was nForce based you would have had to install all your other mainboard drivers in one shot, and if you're having a problem with sound then I'd bet it would extend to USB, Onboard LAN and your PCI bus as well.

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Re: Realtek AC97 Problem -No sound on XP after installing Pro .. went back to XP Home

You could try Everest, a hardware and software information utility. I'm not sure it works with laptops, but it's free: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

3. nebraskarob

nebraskarob Private E-2

Went and downloaded Everest and it said that my motherboard chipset was Ati Radeon 7000 GP. Not sure what to do now. THanks for any help.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Check this out and see if it helps.

Microsoft Knowledge Base... go to the advanced settings in the volume control and enable digital only sound. You may have to restart your computer.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds