Help Me Select A New Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Olley, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Olley

Olley Sergeant

Hi guys,
    my birthday is coming up and im gonna go for a new screen for my pc. I want to replace my old 17 inch CRT with a new 19 inch flatscreen, but i have no idea what to get. i dont even know the difference between TFT, LCD and Plasma.. lots of people say that Dell have good screens but why? I was hoping that u guys here can help me out with this.. im most likely gonna go for a screen from here:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/lcd19.html

thanks in advance

2. russian master

russian master Private First Class

lol...screen...in the us its called a monitor or a display...but neway...try to get a viewsonic monitor...theyre a respectable company, with very helpful customer support. or sony...that name speaks for itself. why not try www.tigerdirect.com? they have very competetive prices

...and what are you using this for? if its for games, keep the crt, or get a 19 crt

3. Olley

Olley Sergeant

well.. why is it called a screensaver then?
    it is mainly for games and 3Ds max, premiere, and watching films. ive noticed that some of them have 8ms response time and others have 2 x as much (16) does this have any significance when i play games? is that why u say i should stick with my crt? only problem is that its kinda annyoing cause its realtively big compared to a flatscreen screen (monitor :) )

thanks for the quick reply dude!

4. russian master

well, the screensaver, saves the screen, which is what is displayed on the monitor...like your desktop...so...the monitor displays the screen..hope thats not too confusing. The smaller the response time in ms, the better, that means the monitor is able to respond to changes faster basically. I have a 17 inch VA712b monitor...it is flat panel, but is a gaming monitor, with a 8 ms respond time, and other stuff...but overall, try a viewsonic and a 8ms response time. thats your best bet.

5. Olley

Olley Sergeant

i see, so the screen is the front part of the monitor and the monitor is the whole thing.. can one see the difference between 16 and 8ms? cause ive seen a great offer of a sony screen which unfortunately has 16ms, but a contrast of 500:1..its also one of those reflecting (not matte) screens which in my oppinion are pretty cool! great picture!

6. russian master

im pretty sure thats a good deal...my monitor has 450:1 ratio, and all that good stuff with the non reflective surface and whatnot...i

7. Olley

Olley Sergeant

"I know a few people on here that will tell you to stick with a CRT if your using it for gaming"

but why? faster response times?

8. russian master

yep, basically

9. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Response time is the speed at which the screen can refresh itself,16ms is no good for gaming,playing a fast game,when the vidcard draws a new picture"the next frame"The screen hasnt got rid of the frame from 2 or 3 frames ago,a bit like when you move a white cursor accross a jet black screen,theres a trail behind it,if you have ever played grand theft auto on ps2 or on pc with motion blurr on its like that but not as pronounced,even 8ms is not fast enough for me yet,so Im sticking with crt.

spend £40 on a bigger desk and get yourself a 21 inch crt.lol :D1600x1200 85hz sweet.lol

10. Olley

Olley Sergeant

ok, so i wont get a 16ms monitor but surely there must be ones that are designed for gameing? after all almost everyone is getting flatscreens these days.. also, whats the difference between TFT and LCD?

11. Olley

Olley Sergeant

also, just out of curiosity, how many ms (response time) does a CRT have?

12. russian master

not sure about how many ms response time a crt has, but its faster than 8 ms...however....i have an 8ms response monitor, and nothing ever lags, looks very nice

13. Olley

Olley Sergeant

ok, thanks.. thats all i needed to hear..
    will i be able to use both screens simultaneoulsy? crt and lcd at the same time?

14. russian master

witha 6800...hell yea

15. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

crt has less then half a MS response time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds