Hard disk is full

Discussion in 'Software' started by ONEEYEMAN, Apr 19, 2008.

1. ONEEYEMAN

ONEEYEMAN Corporal

Hi, ALL,
    I have a DELL laptop, and it has a CD/DVD burner.
    It also comes with the Sonic MyDVD software for writing.
    The laptop also has only one drive.

For some reason after we started using it, we found out that it does not delete the copy of the image it produces after finishing writing it to CD/DVD.
    And the Disk Cleanup don't want to remove it.

IS it possible we have something running on background?

Thank you.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try WinDiStat it will give you a graphical representation of your HD. Just click on the biggest blocks and see what you can delete.

What exactly are you doing that Sonic creates images? Converting smaller .avi files to DVD format? Let us know. :)

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If MyDVD is saving image files, there's a very good chance that they are in .iso format. Click Start > Search and the Search diaglog will open. Select "All files and folders". Click Advanced Options and enable searching in hidden/system files and folders. In the "all or part of the filename" type .iso and start the search. Windows and other apps do not generally create or use .iso files so any .iso files that are found will probably be in a Sonic folder, or you'll recognize the filenames as being your projects. If searching for .iso files turns up nothing, try using .vob as the search term. That is a standard extension for DVD files that take up lots of space.

Good luck! I hope this helps!

4. ONEEYEMAN

ONEEYEMAN Corporal

sach2,
    All we are trying to do is to copy DVD from one to a blank one.
    dib,
    Isn't it suppose to be deleted afterit's been copied over and I said "I don't need another copy"?

Thank you.

P.S.: I will definitely try both your seggestions. We will see what is going to happen...

5. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

"I don't need another copy" just means it is not going to prompt you to put another blank disk in after the first one is burned. What you need to find in the programs settings, would be more like "delete backup when burn is complete" or "Do not save backup files after burning" something to that effect. As a matter of fact there must be a place in its configuration where you choose where to put the backup files if different from default. Find that and you should find all your settings on or near that page.

6. ONEEYEMAN

ONEEYEMAN Corporal

dlb,
    Both .iso and .vob search turns out with "No files found". Anything else I can try?
    I guess I will try WinDiStat to see what is going on...

Appzalien,
    Problem is there is no such options. Under the "Options->Data" there is a "Write DVD-once compatibility" group option. There I have 2 options: "I would like to use discs for more than one recording (This option lets lets you add data in the future, but fewer DVD drives will be able to read the disc.)" and "I only need to use discs for one recording. (You will not be able to add data in the future, but more DVD drives will be able to read the disc)". Now option 1 is checked.
    Under "Options->Data->Advanced" there are "Automatically load appendable discs", that is checked, and "Enable disc spanning for Data Discs", that is unchecked.

Now even if I check the second option in the compatibility write, I need to delete the images that are here.

Thank you.

7. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I guess this is why I uninstalled mydvd when I tried it years ago. The first configure you mention is equivalent to neros' mutisession disk where you write data to a disk and leave the disk open to add data again later, but I have never heard of anyone using it with any success, just headaches and even Nero has trouble explaining how it works. What you want is the second choice which is to close the disk after burning. The only time I ever add more data to a cd or dvd after the first burn is if I'm using an rw or rewritable disk. I have had nothing but trouble with disks that never got closed. I even asked Nero how to close a multisession disk when "finalize" was unchecked and they gave me the run-around so they don't have an option for closing open disks either. So why have it? you got me, its some old holdover from along time ago that they never properly dealt with but dihard users want it for music burning I guess.

If you used the first option then thats why the disks cannot be seen, they're still open. I saw a note in a description for CDBurnerXP that said you could close open disks with it but I have never been able to figure out how, and even on their site I can find no answer or explaination. I have had success with putting the disk in one of my tv setop dvd recorders and closing the disk that way but it doesn't always see the disk either. Try googling "close open session disk", maybe you will have better luck than me and you can post an answer I can use too. Or try "Close MYDVD open session disk".

8. ONEEYEMAN

ONEEYEMAN Corporal

It looks like Sonic stores the copy of the "project" to the hard drive, and along with it stores the copy of the source image.

It is stores as a .gi file to the "Documents and Settings->'User Name'->Local Settings->Temp".

Anything I can do to prevent it?
    There are only those 2 options that I described related to the issue.

Thank you.

9. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Without a copy of sonic infront of me I'm at a loss. Sorry! But perhaps you have learned a little lesson here, just because your new rom drive came with free software dosen't mean its good or intuitive software. The only time I have seen sonic is with sony equipment, and I hate sony equipment, and therefore sonic mydvd too. try cdburnerxp or imageburn, they're free.

10. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmm... if it stores the files as .gi files, can't you erase them manually when you're done with 'em? Appzalien has a good suggestion in recommending a different DVD app. I have heard many complaints about Sonic and how by trying to make it super-user-friendly they ended up with a super-lame program. For simple burning of DVDs and CDs of all types, try BurnAware Free, AShampoo Burning Studio 6, or StarBurn. All three are totally free to download and use, they will burn anything (movies, data, MP3s, audio discs, ISO images, etc), and they are all available here at Major Geeks...
    BurnAware http://www.majorgeeks.com/BurnAware_Free_Edition_d5839.html
    AShampoo Burning Studio 6 http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ashampoo_Burning_Studio_6_FREE_d5937.html
    Star Burn http://www.majorgeeks.com/StarBurn_d5936.html
    NOTE: Star Burn has options enabled by default during setup that will change your IE home page and default search page. You can disable these easily, but you have to read what's on the screen during setup or you might miss it and click Next Next Next without realizing what it will do. If you happen to miss these settings, it's easy to change back to whatever your original settings were, so it's not a big deal I guess.

Anyway- I hope this helps, good luck!

:major
    [dlb]

11. ONEEYEMAN

ONEEYEMAN Corporal

Hi, guys,
    It actually came with a DELL PC... ;) But I get the point.

What about Nero? Is it going to be the same?

Thank you.

12. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I absolutely love Nero. I use version 6.6 which is no longer available. I have tried versions 7 and 8 and they're OK I guess, but I'm sticking with 6.6 until it's pried from my cold dead fingers. The newer Neros tend to be a bit bloated, but thankfully there's a several different versions of v8. There's the Ultra, there's a "standard", there the Lite, and there's the Micro. If you just need it for burning stuff, I'd recommend the Micro. At about 20mb it has Nero Express and Nero BurningROM; they will burn anything you can throw at 'em. The Lite version has some cover designing tools, and some audio tools as well. You can download either one from AfterDawn but you must purchase a serial number from Nero to enable full functionality. If you already have a valid serial number, you can use it with either of these versions (I think).
    Nero Lite v8.3.2.1 http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/nero_lite.cfm
    Nero Micro v8.3.2.1 http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/nero_micro.cfm
    If you want all the video and audio tools that Nero offers, then you'll want the Ultra version. The standard version (Nero v7 called this 'Nero Essentials') is a mix of the Lite version and the Ultra version, and is commonly bundled with new DVD burners. The Ultra version is available here at Major Geeks for download, but again you must purchase a serial number for continued full functionality. I believe the version here at MG is a trial so you can download it and use it for a bit to test it's functionality, if you like it, buy the registration serial number.
    Nero 8.3.2.1 Ultra http://www.majorgeeks.com/Nero_8_Ultra_Edition_d2228.html

I hope this is helpful! Nero has become the standard for burning applications, but there are many free ones (the best of which I have linked to earlier) which will do most the stuff that Nero does. However, Nero is a full suite of applications; you would need maybe half a dozen free programs (or more) to do everything that a full version of Nero Ultra can do. I have the Ultra v6.6.0.19b and I use it almost daily. I knew that Sonic was included on HP and Compaq PCs, but I didn't know that they had hooked up with Dell too....

:major
    [dlb]

13. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Agreed, I own Nero7 but don't use it, it seems to screw with my rom drives. I haven't tried Nero8 yet, I assumed if they couldn't get Nero7 right, why would Nero8 be any different. Besides, they seem to be really thick. You would think they learned their lesson with all the complaints about Nero7 and slowed down a bit on the bloat, but 8 is even more bloated than 7 was. The lite, mico versions are not Neros doing, they are a result of the scene community doing what nero refuses to do. One of the first complaints about nero 7 was you could no longer download just what you wanted, you had to take the whole magilla in one large file. So you ended up with all the adware/toolbars Nero wanted to cram down your throat. they could no longer make money selling crap so they decided to push ads to cover the loss. What a bunch of bull, they should have fixed the problems by listening to customer complaints. Now thats the way to do business.

I really think its only a matter of time before Nero goes down the tubes. Who ever is running the show is an absolute moron. Eventually opensource burners will push its market share into a hole they can not climb out of.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds