Is this malware related or RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darksuit, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Darksuit

Darksuit Private E-2

Ok i recently put together a rather cheap pc from a barebones kit from tiger driect and it started freezing at random times.
    didnt do this too often at first, but started to get more frequent.
    Ive noticed that one of my MMO's seems to act as a catalyst for this freezing.
    A friend overseas says it may be a bad ram stick but id like to know if its something else before i spend money and open the case and potentially throw money away.
    Anyway thanks in advance for reading this and any advice would be very appreciated.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I have moved you thread to the hardware section where you should eliminate the ram issue before you start to explore other causes.

I would suggest that you download and run MemTest.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

What are your current temps like before running the MMO, during the MMO and immediately after? You can use EVEREST to help answer this question.

Tim has given you the better RAM testing program or alternately you could try this windows based memory testing app if you don't have a floppy or DVD ISO memtest. Never just throw money at a problem if you can't reasonably isolate it firstly.

4. Darksuit

Darksuit Private E-2

Other options? (freeze)

Ok memtest seems to do nothing, to be honest, so should i assume that means its not the ram?
    Either way i wanted the new ram anyway so i did buy that and i will know tomorow if that was cause, but if that doesent solve it whats the possibility of the power supply being too low power? i do run an 8800 gt graphics card and have heard it may overwhelm some supplies, dont know how much truth there is to that however.
    thx again.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

You should list your system specs to get some better responses. How long did you run the memtest programs? It is best to leave either one running overnight doing many passes (5-6) if you suspect you have faulty RAM.

To get your system specs use EVEREST Free Edition 2.20

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds