3d pc

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by the mekanic, Sep 20, 2015.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

2. Abelo

Abelo Private E-2

Not going to notice much difference with computer chip that's, let's say, 5 or 10 times faster. Probably costs a lot to produce as well.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Cool! And I thought SSD was a big speed improvement! As far as not noticing the speed, maybe not now, but as always things get more complex. The internet used to be pretty much all text, not all kinds of streaming content is available. If we could get our infrastructure up for internet, that would help.

Heck, not too long ago a 75Mhz PC with 512 RAM was a nice machine. I even remember having a PC with only 2K of RAM. Current one has a 6 core processor, and 16 gig of RAM. :-D

A lot of tech starts like this, in more theoretical labs, then better stuff gets into the consumer market.

4. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

Someone built something like this, only on a larger scale...I imagine the next step though in computer improvements is to have some optimizations in the way of transmitting signals on the motherboard, instead of transmitting signals through metal strands on the PCB, there will be tiny fiber optic lines, though the issue with that is fiber transmitters and receivers would have to be minimized and ensured to not add more lag than they are reducing by replacing wire strips with fiber optic interconnects.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

7. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

8. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I built a gamer for son's rich friend, key piece is
    http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40JU7500FXZA

Water cooled CPU and GPUs with Asus Sabertooth, Intel 4790K at 5 GHz (took three CPU's to find a stable one), two ATI 290x (good for his chosen games).
    He holds 40 - 60 fps in most games. I just wish the monitor had Freesync.

In this rig doubling the CPU power would do almost nothing.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

gaming with CPUs of that ilk would only be good if the tech was used to build GPUs, its an interesting field of tech as is organic/molecular CPUs. While costs will be high to start with they will come down once the tech is proven in stability e.g SSDs over HDDs these days, cost per mb is coming down.

I kinda think we have hit the Moores law a bit as CPU speeds have not been going up over the last year as quick as they have in the past, thought we would be at 6/8GHz by now without overclocking. I'm at 4GHz with an unlocked Intel i7 which is 2yrs old.

3d or nanotube and organic computing will come into their own more in science computing in the main before home, but I can see this in the home in next 5yrs or so, as somethings got to leap forward from the stagnant position we are in now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds