Privacy and Windows 10.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eldon, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I figure by the time I get a new laptop with Windows 10, all this stuff will be ironed out.

As far as privacy, I really don't get it. We all go on the internet. Once you've done that, privacy is an illusion.

3. Eldon

We choose to go on the internet. Using an OS is not a choice. Yes, we can use Linux. But I'm not buying a BMW M5 with a Ford Fiesta engine... :p

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Yep. I agree, but anymore it's all intertwined and incestuous. You need to be online to do 99% of what you need to do with an OS.

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Sorry but I think Microsoft has perverted your idea of an Operating System. Long before the internet OS's were doing everything they needed to do.

Microsoft has decided their OS needs full control of your actions, for your own good, of course. To do this they integrate programs that would usually stand alone. The benefits of this integration is subject to debate.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm pretty much of the belief that with both Apple and Microsoft, even if we decline sending data back to "help with xxxx" we are still sending that data.

I totally agree with DOA's comment

Does giving usage data and could be security/malware scan data really help the end user in the long term?

Difficult to monitor any OS and what metrics its sending back home, unless you monitor all outgoing data traffic and more so know what you are looking for,

7. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

I let the operating system control me. That's why "Proudly Powered by Microsoft" is stamped on my forehead.

8. Eldon

And we don't believe you.
    You are to knowledgeable to do that. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds